• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street Connection

Robert Watcher

Anne and I are visiting a different town in Guatemala this week. Yesterday while having lunch on the Main Street, a couple of little kids came into the restaurant and after we let them know we weren’t interested in buying anything from them - they became intrigued with my transferring photos from my camera to my iPad.

They moved in close to me as I open a few files in Snapseed, and started moving sliders back and forth making adjustments - all the while asking their opinion of what they liked. The processed images were done to their taste and saved on my device.

That was yesterday. Tonight Anne and I headed down to the strip for supper. Out of nowhere we hear “Anna!” and turn to see Rosa and her little brother Eddie approaching. I grabbed some black and whites while they talked with Anne. A friend Thomas came up to me and said he wanted his picture taken.

Then Rosa came over to me and said she wanted me to take a picture of all 3 of them, but wanted Anne in it. I took several shots and showed them for their approval. When I got what they said was good, they then told me they wanted a picture of them all with me in it. I handed to camera to Anne and sat on the step and they nuzzled in close for a perfect pose. They liked the shot and said goodbye to us. Such cute kids.

A0FB2745-26CF-4EE8-B5D9-6429D2018ABB.jpg

E5F158A0-FE0D-471D-AACF-AA018BC31676.jpg

681F7DF4-B3A9-4A3F-94A5-49B7C9D7818B.jpg

6C34DF82-4C2F-493A-9E52-68888024D6A8.jpg

5D11C730-A3B1-4DE6-8EEE-0BE539B2F63A.jpg

——-

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Very nice shots Robert, but most of all a super story that under the lines shows that when one does not behave as a "western tourist" the nicest encounters may arise… simply!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A0FB2745-26CF-4EE8-B5D9-6429D2018ABB.jpg

E5F158A0-FE0D-471D-AACF-AA018BC31676.jpg

Fabulous response by the 3 children who obviously are thrilled to have their pictures taken together! I wonder how many hours a day they have to sell stuff?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Fabulous response by the 3 children who obviously are thrilled to have their pictures taken together! I wonder how many hours a day they have to sell stuff?

Asher

On the walk home, I found a place open to make some 4x6 prints to take back to them today, if we can find them. I will try and find out how much of the day they spend selling.

———-

Robert Watcher

A snap that Anne discreetly made with her phone on the day the kids came into the restaurant while we were eating and I was transferring and processing a few images for Instagram:

BC9D8CCB-4961-4C80-9E37-80742A9042A7.jpg

Asher Kelman

A snap that Anne discreetly made with her phone on the day the kids came into the restaurant while we were eating and I was transferring and processing a few images for Instagram:

BC9D8CCB-4961-4C80-9E37-80742A9042A7.jpg

I like those shadows.

Try the dehaze filter on the RAW filter of Photoshop CC!

Those kids are mesmerized. I know they will be inspired now to dream wide and further!

Asher

Robert Watcher

I like those shadows.

Try the dehaze filter on the RAW filter of Photoshop CC!

Those kids are mesmerized. I know they will be inspired now to dream wide and further!

Asher

Dark room - bright midday sun in the background - dirty smugges on the phone lens === this result. LOL Doesn’t matter, it was just a record shot.

Robert Watcher

It was print delivery time tonight.

As I entered the entrance to the strip I saw a young boy that looked like he may be Thomas. I asked and gave him his set of prints. He was very happy and headed down the street. 15 minutes later, I noticed this boy sitting on the sidewalk with the back of the 3 prints spread out across his basket - he had a pen in his hand.

As I approached I noticed that he was writing today’s date on each of the photos so he would remember when he received them. I couldn’t believe it. That is something my grandmother did and we all fail to do today, as a record for generations to come. I took his photo with the prints and headed to the other end of the strip towards the Lago, for some supper.

While eating Rosa and Eddie noticed us and came in with their big smiles. I presented them each with their gift of three prints and asked if I could take a photo outside with them holding them. Rosa positioned her brother properly and I snapped.

As I headed back in to finish my food, I asked Rosa how long they are required to work on the Streets. She said they spend 3 hours each afternoon. Trying not embarass them, I gently asked if they went to school. Proudly she said they both did go to school in the morning each day, and loved learning English. It made Ann and I feel better, because our experience in Nicaragua was that the majority of street vendor children did not receive any formal schooling.

8314939F-BB7C-4460-A77D-32BD8C87EED9.jpg

A0ECD825-C9F3-480B-8FDA-2770417D3493.jpg

1B793070-4E42-46C7-8792-CD6B3DAA1AA3.jpg

———-

Asher Kelman

Fabulous completion of the circle!

I do hope these kids got that extra spark in their eyes for your warmth and recognition of the worth of all - something I am know unites us!

There are blessings in those eyes!

Asher