Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Panorama Photography: Vistas, Interiors & Objects

Old January 19th, 2015, 04:49 PM

Default Southern Utah Panoramas

Six exposure panorama: top 3 were exposed for the sky, bottom 3 for shadow, did a few of the middle shot. I first made a sky pano, then shadow pano, then blended them with manual masking in the middle.

Burr Trail Sunset
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dockery View Post
Six exposure panorama: top 3 were exposed for the sky, bottom 3 for shadow, did a few of the middle shot. I first made a sky pano, then shadow pano, then blended them with manual masking in the middle.

Burr Trail Sunset
Jim, you did a great job of blending them all. I also really love that bit of gutsy orange in the middle that really looks great with the blue sky and actually makes this image sing. I don't think it would be as spectacular without it. Beautiful!
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:33 AM
pro member

Quote:
Hi Jim,

Well done, I like it. It's, in addition to the technical execution, also a good demonstration of a successful vertical panorama, by virtue of composition. Many vertical panoramas leave a feeling of missing something at the left or right, but not this one.

This one deserves being printed large, like wall-size high from floor to ceiling. I assume that the stitching provided you with plenty of pixels to do that with little compromise.

Cheers,
Bart
Old January 21st, 2015, 11:57 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:

Burr Trail Sunset
I agree that this is magnificent asa vertical pano and that orange splash really makes it alive.

Splendid!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:27 PM

Here is a pano of the bad lands in the lower part of the previous shot.

Burr Trail Badlands
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Here is a pano of the bad lands in the lower part of the previous shot.

Burr Trail Badlands

Jim,

This is splendid! You have captured such a great example of a sculpted river bed and there's lots of detail. In the first, vertical pano, the upper 1/3 of this river bed is very well characterized. This new image completes that impression. There is so much work you have done. Reminds me of the challenge of imaging giant multileveled waterfalls - one get get lost in this world for days as there are so many great ways of presenting the wealth of detail, texture, drama and beauty.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:17 AM

Default Thanks for the comment Asher

Asher, it bugged the hell out of me blasting past this viewpoint early in the morning a week before when heading to a long hike with friends. I returned later for a car hike with my wife with photography as the goal and had plenty of time to shoot. I highly recommend this nice paved (up to this viewpoint) road to any photog heading down to The Escalante region.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Asher, it bugged the hell out of me blasting past this viewpoint early in the morning a week before when heading to a long hike with friends. I returned later for a car hike with my wife with photography as the goal and had plenty of time to shoot. I highly recommend this nice paved (up to this viewpoint) road to any photog heading down to The Escalante region.
I'd love to get to the place some time...and bring with a model, perhaps.

Asher

Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:30 PM

The first one is wonderful *2

//http://www.pellepiano.com
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Bump for beauty!

Old May 27th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Alain Briot style ?... inspiration ?

The color palette is similar...
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:28 AM

We hardly ever get to see vertical panoramas. Nice to see. They commonly get criticized for some reason, but I remember one pro commercial photographer in the 70's or 80's who loved and recommended vertical panoramas. Even back then, few photographers made them but he created and printed large verticals from his panorama camera as a way to break that tradition.

======
Old July 12th, 2015, 01:40 AM

Boost for great landscapes!