• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photoshop CS3 Beta release 15 Dec 2006

John_Nevill

Adobe release CS3 beta

I did wonder what all the fuss was about, many web sites have been taunting us with snippets, but it looks like CS3 beta hits the Adobe Labs later today with a revised Bridge module and mobile content devlopment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diane Fields

I've just dled it and am getting ready to install. When I found that the new version of ACR is very similar to the develop module in LR--I had to try it. I'm not sold on LR---but love the develop module.

Diane

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Diane
You lucky!
I wonder where you could download it from, as I can't find it on Adobe's site at 8:45 AM LA time (5:45 PM French time), I guess we'll have to wait a bit more....

Diane Fields

Nicolas Claris said:
Bonjour Diane
You lucky!
I wonder where you could download it from, as I can't find it on Adobe's site at 8:45 AM LA time (5:45 PM French time), I guess we'll have to wait a bit more....

I couldn't find it on the site either---but someone else gave a straight through link
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_photoshop

This link should work for you too.

I dled it, have it installed--used my CS2 serial number and can use it until 5/2007 it says. I like it so far--some new things and the interface is nice. So far so good. I haven't had time to judge how Bridge is better---ACR is DEFINITELY better---just about like the LR develop module. So---LR (though I get a free version when it comes out) won't be my choice after all. This was what I was hoping for for the most part since I always end up in PS anyhow.

Diane

nicolas claris

Thanks Diane
That's cool, however I'm home now and can't remember my Adobe ID! used the Adobe "Forget your password?" link and it did provide by email a password that doesn't work!
Well I'll check that tomorrow from the office...

thanks for your efforts

John_Nevill

I've tried dl the beta for the last hour or so, its so frustrating when your get 70% there at 400kb/s and it just hangs.
I'm also very keen to see new ACR module.

It now looks as though their site has crashed! Maybe i'll try and schedule a DL for the small hours!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I've been working with CS3 all morning. So far it's delightful, particularly on my Intel Macs. The new Bridge and ACR represent remarkable improvements. Bridge is, as expected, rather Lightroom-like and is blazingly fast with terrific preview options. For a little treat, click on the larger Preview window while an image is selected. Apple isn't the only company that can implement a floating loupe! (It still has some quirks but it's a great way to get a better look without opening a file.) The ACR, as expected, has the richer tonality controls featured in Lightroom.

I think you'll enjoy this.

Mike Guthman

I've been playing with CS3 and think it is terrific. The downside is that old plug-ins don't work... they need to be rewritten. So when I tried to go back to CS2 (after closing CS3), it would not open. I'm on an intel mac.

Anyone found a work around?

Mike

Jörgen Nyberg

John, try again. Works now, just downloaded (240 kb/s on a 2,5 Mb line) and started to install, had to try it out after reading about the new ACR.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Mike:
Yes, all plug-ins must be recompiled to be compliant with the Universal Binary (G / Intel) structure to operate on an Intel Mac.

I have not had the problem loading CS2 after installing CS3. It, and the old Bridge, load fine on my MacPro after CS3. Sorry I cannot offer help, but you may want to take the matter to the Adobe Labs forum site.

Diane Fields

Mike Guthman said:
I've been playing with CS3 and think it is terrific. The downside is that old plug-ins don't work... they need to be rewritten. So when I tried to go back to CS2 (after closing CS3), it would not open. I'm on an intel mac.

Anyone found a work around?

Mike

This was posted by Jeff Schewe in LL

See: Known Issues with the CS3 Beta
http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/15/known-issues-with-the-cs3-beta/
For MacIntel, ALL plug-ins will need to be updated to run in CS3..

nicolas claris

And the plugins such as Noise Ninja do work. This confirm that this issue is only for Intel base Macs... Mine is coming in January...

John_Nevill

Got it!

Nice ACR module, definitely makes me rethink whether i'm going to need LR. Plus you get both types of curves.
The Bridge display is a little corrupt on my ATI X1600 card, lots of thumbnail remnants but its workable. Also it has the dark grey chic look which seems to be the norm as noted by others.

I pointed CS3 at an additional plugin folder and it yelled, so some of plugins will need to be updated.

BTW, I'm on a PC, the speed improvement is also quite noticable, although the performance preference dialogue doesn't recognise my GPU. I bet the release will, perhaps its Vista thing.
Anyone tried the new device central module, I'll be able to send images to my moble as backgrounds, something I've been wanting to do for years......(not) I suppose it fills a niche.

I do like the new docking menus though, keeps things nice and tidy.

Now to play!

Diane Fields

John_Nevill said:
Got it!

Nice ACR module, definitely makes me rethink whether i'm going to need LR. Plus you get both types of curves.
The Bridge display is a little corrupt on my ATI X1600 card, lots of thumbnail remnants but its workable. Also it has the dark grey chic look which seems to be the norm as noted by others.

I pointed CS3 at an additional plugin folder and it yelled, so some of plugins will need to be updated.

BTW, I'm on a PC, the speed improvement is also quite noticable, although the performance preference dialogue doesn't recognise my GPU. I bet the release will, perhaps its Vista thing.
Anyone tried the new device central module, I'll be able to send images to my moble as backgrounds, something I've been wanting to do for years......(not) I suppose it fills a niche.

I do like the new docking menus though, keeps things nice and tidy.

Now to play!

Im going to uninstall my LR beta. What I wanted out of it was the develop module and its there for all intents and puposes.

The speed is def. noticeable, my Bridge is working correctly. I reset it up--old habits die hard I guess. I like my metadata panel under my folder panel and I like it set up with horizontal film strip--so I saved that workspace and its pretty much like my old one. All of my plugins are working fine--and the actions I loaded work as well.

I just worked on a file from RAW through to framing it with my actions for a folder and all went just fine. I forgot to set up a scratch drive so that got me for an instance, but fixed that and I haven't had any other problems. A number of other things to figure out, but having been using LR, there are a number of things similar.

Diane

Harvey Moore

I did the downoad last nite, took about 12 minutes for the Windows version.
Installed this morning, got the beta s/n, and did some testing.

I am impressed, speed is much better than cs2, and ACR4.0 excels. Very much like Lightroom develope module which I have used extensively and like it.

The only dissapointment for me, and this is minor, is the crop tools are are cs2 style. I liked the crop tool in LR with it's rule of thirds lines and ease of use.

In ACR4 under, the preset tab, there are 2 presets for the 5D, one each for Daylight and Artificial light, and the output files seem a lot better than the old acr.

CS3 is faster than cs2 on my system, and the interface is streamlined quite a bit.

I viewed all the CS3 tutorials on the NAPP site, that got me up to speed quickly.

With the new ACR, and improvements in CS3, the need for Lightroom is diminished for me, but I will wait and see what LR 1.0 has to offer.

And the new Bridge is miles ahead of CS2 bridge.

Diane Fields

Harvey Moore said:
I did the downoad last nite, took about 12 minutes for the Windows version.
Installed this morning, got the beta s/n, and did some testing.

I am impressed, speed is much better than cs2, and ACR4.0 excels. Very much like Lightroom develope module which I have used extensively and like it.

The only dissapointment for me, and this is minor, is the crop tools are are cs2 style. I liked the crop tool in LR with it's rule of thirds lines and ease of use.

In ACR4 under, the preset tab, there are 2 presets for the 5D, one each for Daylight and Artificial light, and the output files seem a lot better than the old acr.

CS3 is faster than cs2 on my system, and the interface is streamlined quite a bit.

I viewed all the CS3 tutorials on the NAPP site, that got me up to speed quickly.

With the new ACR, and improvements in CS3, the need for Lightroom is diminished for me, but I will wait and see what LR 1.0 has to offer.

And the new Bridge is miles ahead of CS2 bridge.

Interesting---I liked the crop in LR too---but there was a lot of grousing in the RSP forums where the Adobe moderator (after Michael Tapes) took note of it. Nobody seemed to like that cropping--but I got used to it and I, too, looked for it in ACR.

Thanks for pointing out the 5D setting--I missed that. Addendum----I don't find anything under the preset tab. I have a 5D image open, but nothing there--can you give me more specifics please???

Oh, I changed my preferences to open Bridge after PS---and it does not like that. I get an error. So--I just left it default and open the browser (Bridge) as soon as I enter--which opens very quickly, but that's obviously a bug.

Diane

Jeff O'Neil

I dl today and tried it on my older office machine, a P4 with a gig of ram...won't work. It is a machine that has run CS2 quite well but is just too old for the new version.

On my laptop CS3 works quite well. 1.5G ram.

I'm impressed with the new Brigdge. Much faster with the thumbnail control for lower resolution.

The convert to b&w as a layer is a nice function plus the ability to select portions of the shot and slide the mouse sideways to effect that area of the photo only is really nice.

ACR is vastly improved. Lightroom will be a non issue for me with this new version. I also am entitled to the first issue free.

Looks like Adobe has a winner again.

The photoshopuser.com site, NAAP, has some great tutorials on the changes.

Jeff

Harvey Moore

Diane said:

"Thanks for pointing out the 5D setting--I missed that. Addendum----I don't find anything under the preset tab. I have a 5D image open, but nothing there--can you give me more specifics please???

Oh, I changed my preferences to open Bridge after PS---and it does not like that. I get an error. So--I just left it default and open the browser (Bridge) as soon as I enter--which opens very quickly, but that's obviously a bug."

Diane, I am on a PC using Windows version. When I poked around seeing what was there, it just popped up like this, I thought it was there by default for 5D raw files:

323394715_5aa79d404e_o.jpg

John Hollenberg

Don't get too excited about the beta just yet. I tried to do a simple softproof (Windows version of CS3) and the program locked up. Killed the program, tried it again--same thing. It is definitely a BETA here. I had hoped it would be a bit more stable, but of course really can't complain.

--John

Harvey Moore

John Hollenberg said:
Don't get too excited about the beta just yet. I tried to do a simple softproof (Windows version of CS3) and the program locked up. Killed the program, tried it again--same thing. It is definitely a BETA here. I had hoped it would be a bit more stable, but of course really can't complain.

--John

John,

I tried some soft proofing for mpix processes using the files they sent to me without any problems.

Perhaps a memory or scratch disk issue ?

harvey

Diane Fields

Thanks Harvey. That's where I poked too LOL---and I have nothing in that dialog. Wonder what's what? Maybe I'll inquire some other places and see if others have it.

Diane

Looks like amazing product to me. Some things are still quirky, but for a beta it plain rocks. The first public beta of the Lightroom was in so much worse shape.
I cannot stop drooling over all the new and improved features we're gonna enjoy when it ships.

Diane Fields

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
Looks like amazing product to me. Some things are still quirky, but for a beta it plain rocks. The first public beta of the Lightroom was in so much worse shape.
I cannot stop drooling over all the new and improved features we're gonna enjoy when it ships.

I agree. Its fun to use---and so much better than first version of LR, but then this had a good beginning with PSCS2. I have yet to have time to really explore. Just been using it as I do CS2 (other than ACR) but know there's so much more.

Diane

Harvey Moore

Diane,

Did some hard drive searches on my pc, turns out the two presets are in a download directory in a non Photoshop area. They are two 5D calibration files that I was going to try and never got around to it.

Somehow CS3 found 'em and put them in as presets. It's interesting that they also showed up in my CS2 setup as well, and my saved calibration sets developed with the Tom Fors script calibration are nowhere to be found in CS2 ACR version after the CS3 install.

Harvey