• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles

Tom Yi

Tom Yi deleted his own post after others had contributed their efforts to this important subject.

In future we will safeguard against such damage to threads.

It is the policy of OPF to not remove photographers' professional posts, as this would be against the very purpose of this forum.

To make this thread coherent, here is my understanding, from memory of Tom's orginal very strong ideas that lead to this discussion.

Tom had shown his picture of The Walt Disney Concert Hall Los Angeles. It was of from a position opposite the stunning entrance on the corner of Grand Avenue and First Street in Los Angeles. His picture, he admitted had some difficulties and he didn't find the subject all that easy to get a great picture of.

The building designed by Frank Gehry, has elements of sails and is clad in stainless steel. The latter is indeed always challenging to photograph. We found the picture, nevertheless, interesting enough to discuss and appreciate.

This reconstruction of the initial post serves purely to anchor this thread and make it comprehensible. I feel that the efforts of subsequent writers are important. We value them. So please forgive me for any innaccuracy I may have introduced here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like the fact that you have captured a lot of the difficult dark tones. That is a huge challenge.

My preference is to go farther away and up the stairs opposite and use a tall tripod to diminish the Disney Hall entrance stairs, which to me, are confusing.

What is that in the left lower corner?

The advertising lighbox on the Grand Ave side of the building is blown out. One needs to use tonal curves to get it back or better, a composite of two RAW versions. Similarly the blown out reflection in the stainless steel above that.

I could see a great new version, consider this:

Hide everything below the top level of the steps and the portion of the picture to the left of the building itself.

Remaining is a wonderful and novel view with the Grand Ave sign coming in at an angle that balances the curves and sails of the steel.

Asher

Tom Yi

This shot, I consider more of a postcard snapshot. It's not very artistic. The tonal range exceeds the sensor, so yup, overblown highlights. I think i should have used a grad. ND filter upside down to decrease the light from the lights but being a non serious landscape shooter, I don't have one.

I've been to this place a lot and everytime I come away not impressed by this building. It doesn't catch my eye. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.

Asher Kelman

HI Tom,

There is nothing wrong with your shot, the building either.

Rather, I think that there is a lot there and it is overwhelming in detail. That building should have had open space around it, but that's all the County of Los Angeles had to allocate to Frank Gehry, the architect. It takes some extra strategems therefore to isolate it and remove distractions.

Could you try the crop I suggested.

There might be a surprise in there, but one you really saw amongst the many ideas you had when you took that picture.

Asher

Tom Yi

86577194-M.jpg

Not sure if this version is any better.
This building just doesn't insprie me as much as Getty and the Getty Villa. I think I don't personally find much that catches my eye. I've been here atleast close to a dozen times and never time much to inspire me.

Asher Kelman

Tom,

Glad you tried at least! Thanks, and one more try. B&W and decrease the brightness of the entrance. I don't give up so fast, even if I may be wrong! In the end, I'd better post my versions!

Asher

Last edited:

Tom Yi

It's the design of that place, I just don't find it intersting and/or beautiful, hence I'm not inspired by it.

Asher Kelman

The original images have been removed by the original poster and he also deleted many of his posts in a number of other threads.

This is against etiquette and the rules here.

We do not do this at OPF.

However, it does stand as an example of what should not be done.

Asher

Last edited: