Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > The Amazing Stories Behind Pictures: Places, Events, Poetry, Works of Art

The Amazing Stories Behind Pictures: Places, Events, Poetry, Works of Art Some pictures have far more to see than what is immediately obvious. It's also a window and a library of whatever went before. Tell us this and so we'll be taken beyond the picture deep into the nature and feelings that will buttress the pictures and pull us to come back.

Old September 18th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Default Sacred Flame

The Sacred Flame : Prateek Dubey

Fire is the most sacred element in Hinduism. The logic being that it is the only element which cannot be polluted. So the sacred color for Hindus is the feiry Orange. Fire is made a witness in all important rituals. Starting with housemoving, to weddings ( One has to take vows in front of fire and take seven circles around it) and to death. In this case, the morning prayers in ode to Mother Ganges were performed at Haridwar and the fire then divided into many smaller flames taken around to bless all and sundry. It also makes money for those who carry it around.

Last edited by Asher Kelman; September 18th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Prateek
It must be so sacred I can't see it! Wished I could though

Charlotte-
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek Dubey View Post

Fire is the most sacred element in Hinduism. The logic being that it is the only element which cannot be polluted. So the sacred color for Hindus is the feiry Orange. Fire is made a witness in all important rituals. Starting with housemoving, to weddings ( One has to take vows in front of fire and take seven circles around it) and to death. In this case, the morning prayers in ode to Mother Ganges were performed at Haridwar and the fire then divided into many smaller flames taken around to bless all and sundry. It also makes money for those who carry it around.
Well Charlotte,

It reappeared! A magical Phoenix that can correct syntax must have flown past!

Prateek,

Interesting how the elements fire and water are so important. What about earth and wind and the moon, son and stars. I must say I'm pretty poorly informed on Hindu mythology and cultures, although I know the civilization predates most others.

There seems to be a pantheon of revered symbols, or are they more than that? Elephants, cows and in Nepal, monkeys. How ignorant I am!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.

Last edited by Asher Kelman; September 19th, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Well Charlotte,

It reappeared! A magical Phoenix that can correct syntax must have flown past!

Prateek,

Interesting how the elements fire and water are so important. What about earth and wind and the moon, son and stars. I must say I'm pretty poorly informed on Hindu mythology and cultures, although I know the civilization predates most others.

There seems to be a pantheon of revered symbols, or are they more than that? Elephants, cows and in Nepal, monkeys. How ignorant I am!
Asher,
The fundamental premise of Hinduism is that Man is not the center of the universe, but only a part of it. So virtualy everything is sacred in Hinduism. Yes every other element, including earth and water are also a part of the ritual and the Sun is worshipped in many forms too. In fact, if you ever come to India, you must visit the Sun temple at Konark. More than famous for its highly erotic sculpture. The joy of creation depicted without apologies and very very graphically. Apparently there are 330 million gods and goddesses in the Hindu pantheon. Who keeps track of them, God knows, but look at anything, it is worshipped. Snakes, fish, crocodiles, bulls, monkeys, elephants to name a few. I'm sure there must be some importance attached to flies and mosquitoes too ( after all there are so manyof them here)....

Last edited by Asher Kelman; September 19th, 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek Dubey View Post

Hi Prateek,
Very nicely done!
Equally enjoyable is the narratives you share with your images.
Quite a learning experience!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM

Good shot and a learning experience on the wonderful differences we share as a group of humans
I hope that scared flame doesn't catch him on fire-

Charlotte-