Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > The Amazing Stories Behind Pictures: Places, Events, Poetry, Works of Art

The Amazing Stories Behind Pictures: Places, Events, Poetry, Works of Art Some pictures have far more to see than what is immediately obvious. It's also a window and a library of whatever went before. Tell us this and so we'll be taken beyond the picture deep into the nature and feelings that will buttress the pictures and pull us to come back.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default More like bewildered

Its not an amazing story but it did leave me wondering why I bother some days.
Christine decides she needs new sheets on the bed. The old ones seem OK but who am I to know?
We head for the closest outlet, which is the only one and I shove my V2 in the purse just in case sheet shopping becomes boring.
Which it does. Very quickly.
Theres a building being constructed next door. Looks like a blokey place to be. Lots of cranes, concrete and sweaty men. On my way to a reasonable vantage point I* notice this from the street.


_DSC0555 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

"Oy! What are you doing?
Im taking a picture, [dumb arse, whats it look like?]
"what for?"
"It looks interesting." [ actually I'm going to send the picture to the North Koreans so they can use it for target practise]
"You can't just take pictures of peoples buildings"
I walk on. He's still following me. He shouts something abusive. I am tempted to return the favour but he looks like a member of a terrorist group [you know, dark and swarthy, middle eastern accent, large knife tucked into his belt] himself so I let it go.

I find a great spot through the fence to get a glimpse of the cranes and shoot off a few.



_DSC0550 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

"Oy! What the **** are you doing?"
Same attitude, different dick head.

Nice day. Must be nice to work on such a big crane.

He eyes me suspiciously. I wait for him to draw his ignorance and tell me i cant do this.
He obliges.
I dont want to get involved in a fruitless conversation so I move to a point where I believe I am not being observed


_DSC0539 by tom.dinning, on Flickr
Christine returns.

"That lady in the shop was going to call the police. She thought you were a pedo"

And you defended me, right

"I told her you did look a bit weird"

Good one.

"Its OK. I told her you were my husband and you do this all the time"

Was she reassured?

"Not in the least. She said you cant be too careful with strange old men lurking in the car park with cameras."


_DSC0588 by tom.dinning, on Flickr


I can't figure out if I'm pissed at being called strange, Christine not defending me effectively, or that the world is full of conspiracy theorists and the rest of us are out to get them.

I just want to be able to take pictures like I used to.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
....I can't figure out if I'm pissed at being called strange, Christine not defending me effectively, or that the world is full of conspiracy theorists and the rest of us are out to get them.

I just want to be able to take pictures like I used to.
The world has changed for good my friend. The pandora's box has been opened and there is no way closing it again. I wonder, what will those imbeciles do in a few years when everybody wears a google glass and can take pictures just by looking around inconspicously? Come to think of it, what will our reaction be when we are talking to somebody who wears them? Will we feel unconfortable knowing that they could well be filming us while we speak?
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
The world has changed for good my friend. The pandora's box has been opened and there is no way closing it again. I wonder, what will those imbeciles do in a few years when everybody wears a google glass and can take pictures just by looking around inconspicously? Come to think of it, what will our reaction be when we are talking to somebody who wears them? Will we feel unconfortable knowing that they could well be filming us while we speak?
These are the moments when I want to go back 50 years, have my Rollie in my hot little hand and people interested and encouraging in my pursuit of the perfect photo. In the process of me losing my innocence so did the rest of the world. I am no longer in search of the perfect shot and even if I was someone would be out there thinking I was planning an air attack or considering kidnapping their brat child.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,558
Default

Hi, Tom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
These are the moments when I want to go back 50 years, have my Rollie in my hot little hand and people interested and encouraging in my pursuit of the perfect photo. In the process of me losing my innocence so did the rest of the world. I am no longer in search of the perfect shot and even if I was someone would be out there thinking I was planning an air attack or considering kidnapping their brat child.
An interesting, disturbing, and I'm afraid not really surprising story.

And some really wonderful shots.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,789
Default

You have competition: ‘Creepy Cameraman’ pushes limits of public surveillance — a glimpse of the future?

People have come to accept surveillance cameras as a part of everyday life. But what happens when someone is carrying the surveillance camera instead?
That’s the question raised by a series of online videos in which an unidentified man takes a camera around Seattle and other parts of Washington state, walking up to people and recording them for no apparent reason other than to make a point: How is what he’s doing different than those stationary surveillance cameras tucked away in buildings and public places?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Nicolas Claris Nicolas Claris is offline
Administrator/Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bordeaux
Posts: 5,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
You have competition: ‘Creepy Cameraman’ pushes limits of public surveillance — a glimpse of the future?

That’s the question raised by a series of online videos in which an unidentified man takes a camera around Seattle and other parts of Washington state, walking up to people and recording them for no apparent reason other than to make a point: How is what he’s doing different than those stationary surveillance cameras tucked away in buildings and public places?
Ah!
Good and valid point… well known for long time since "L'arroseur arrosé" !
__________________
WEBSITE - FACEBOOK - INSTAGRAM
Please do no repost my images elsewhere than OPF without my permission.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,751
Default

Actually, the more pictures the better. Protects democracy. Dilutes mediocrity by challenging artists to look beyond what's obvious.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,751
Default A "Blokey" Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
......
Theres a building being constructed next door. Looks like a blokey place to be. Lots of cranes, concrete and sweaty men. On my way to a reasonable vantage point I* notice this from the street.


_DSC0555 by tom.dinning, on Flickr


Excellent story. The narrative helps. This is an example of great color! Absolutely wonderful.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Michael Nagel Michael Nagel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich/Germany
Posts: 2,289
Default

I like this series!

I also observed the change in attitude.

I think that the change started with the widespread use of digital photography and the rise of the WWW.
A not so nice snapshot of you in the times of film did not have the same consequences like now.

In the old film times this snapshot ended up in a private collection - a publication out of reach for anyone except press.

Nowadays everybody can publish any of his photos on the WWW and reach a larger public.
So the risk of being seen is there now.

The surveillance is something that became more and more important during the last decade.

Best regards,
Michael
__________________
I do not call myself an artist, I just try to capture what I see.
If you need many words to describe what your picture means, it doesn't speak enough for itself.
my photos on flickr - here is the portion posted in OPF.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Martin Stephens Martin Stephens is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 228
Default

The crane through the barbed wire is really nice. The choice to open up on the wire is perfect. Nothing says "get outta here" like barbed wire!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 10th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Stephens View Post
The crane through the barbed wire is really nice. The choice to open up on the wire is perfect. Nothing says "get outta here" like barbed wire!
Cheers, Martin. I'm a barbed wire man.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 10th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Theodoros Fotometria Theodoros Fotometria is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Corinth, Greece
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
Its not an amazing story but it did leave me wondering why I bother some days.
Christine decides she needs new sheets on the bed. The old ones seem OK but who am I to know?
We head for the closest outlet, which is the only one and I shove my V2 in the purse just in case sheet shopping becomes boring.
Which it does. Very quickly.
Theres a building being constructed next door. Looks like a blokey place to be. Lots of cranes, concrete and sweaty men. On my way to a reasonable vantage point I* notice this from the street.


_DSC0555 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

"Oy! What are you doing?
Im taking a picture, [dumb arse, whats it look like?]
"what for?"
"It looks interesting." [ actually I'm going to send the picture to the North Koreans so they can use it for target practise]
"You can't just take pictures of peoples buildings"
I walk on. He's still following me. He shouts something abusive. I am tempted to return the favour but he looks like a member of a terrorist group [you know, dark and swarthy, middle eastern accent, large knife tucked into his belt] himself so I let it go.

I find a great spot through the fence to get a glimpse of the cranes and shoot off a few.



_DSC0550 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

"Oy! What the **** are you doing?"
Same attitude, different dick head.

Nice day. Must be nice to work on such a big crane.

He eyes me suspiciously. I wait for him to draw his ignorance and tell me i cant do this.
He obliges.
I dont want to get involved in a fruitless conversation so I move to a point where I believe I am not being observed


_DSC0539 by tom.dinning, on Flickr
Christine returns.

"That lady in the shop was going to call the police. She thought you were a pedo"

And you defended me, right

"I told her you did look a bit weird"

Good one.

"Its OK. I told her you were my husband and you do this all the time"

Was she reassured?

"Not in the least. She said you cant be too careful with strange old men lurking in the car park with cameras."


_DSC0588 by tom.dinning, on Flickr


I can't figure out if I'm pissed at being called strange, Christine not defending me effectively, or that the world is full of conspiracy theorists and the rest of us are out to get them.

I just want to be able to take pictures like I used to.
Keep playing "among them" with them and "alone" when environment has to be sealed… that's my advice! …but I guess you already know this, thanks for the post Tom!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bewildered Emma James Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique 4 May 14th, 2007 08:44 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet © of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion © 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!