Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Themes

Themes Post the best of your favorites in our "Themes". Brief Comments only!

Old August 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

Charlie,

This skimming of almost horizontal light over the edges of the cactus is just the touch we need. In the very first moments, we don't give attenton to the dark background, as the cactus consumes our interest. Then, group of people appear, tinted golden-red. How could we not see them immediately? This brief staging of elements in terms of importance and visibility is most satisfying.

Asher
I like the way you broke it down, mostly how you suggest the cactus are a group of people, rows of people.
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Default Conflicts of Interest

Sunset on a beach on Lake Michigan (where we get incredibly clear, horizontal light) played up the conflicts of interest.

http://JamesCook.biz
http://FindAPhotographer.us
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:30 PM

James,

Wonderful image. Looks like the vehicle had the last word.
I had a wonderful time cruising your now-bookmarked site; very inspiring.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cook View Post
Sunset on a beach on Lake Michigan (where we get incredibly clear, horizontal light) played up the conflicts of interest.

James,

There's a lot of story there!

Little feet, then a bird, then someone with a good gripping heal and finally, the tires have the last word! Yes, indeed, Winston!

A great use of the low angle light of dawn or sunset. Good job!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:05 PM

James, are you in Michigan? I have some similar (but not as good) shots taken in Muskegon.
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:10 PM

asher,
thanks for the thought - will have a look....
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM

Location: Willimantic, CT, the Quiet Corner of Northeast CT in southern New England

Far from a masterpiece. Just a view of the sunset as we might see it as we are about to go inside in the fall. Title: Urban Sunset. Out of camera except for resizing.

Jean
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM

Location: Willimantic, CT, the Quiet Corner of Northeast CT in southern New England

Charlie,

The dunes are exquisite and the cacti are truly stunning.

Jean
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:05 AM

Default Striking Sunsets, Getting beyond Postcard-Pretty or Merely Sentimental!

Hi community!

I'm sharing here the pictures of my latest travel!

Wonderful Tree!

This image was taken next to the road, while going to who knows. I wanted to take a pic of the red stuff under the tree, but due that we trespassed a fence, I just lacked in courage to go closer ^^

Km 915:

A route pic! I just found the little banner quite gorgeous ^^

Atardecer en la estación:

Just in time, before the sun went to the other side, we stopped the car and shot here to these amazing tanks.

And the last pic! It belongs to the same abandoned station:

Spectral Refraction.

All pics edited only and only! in LR3.

Have fun!!!

Leo

PS: We finally found we were travelled around 500 Km or so, to Santiago del Estero, Argentina.

My Port: www.quantum3studio.daportfolio.com
My Music: www.myspace.com/martinleonardoprosperi
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:27 AM

Leo,

We had to also have a copy of the set here as these uniquely show the 5th dimension, beyond time: sunset happening in time around a person's life.

Fasinating!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Leo,

We had to also have a copy of the set here as these uniquely show the 5th dimension, beyond time: sunset happening in time around a person's life.

Fasinating!

Asher
Well... thank you Didn't know I've been in the 5th dimension! =D

Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM

Great picture! The way the footprints are displayed and the variety is so good! Would be nice a dinosaur footprint too!

Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM

Leo,

I guess you are referring to James' work, here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cook View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Boher View Post
Great picture! The way the footprints are displayed and the variety is so good! Would be nice a dinosaur footprint too!

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Inactive

Default my leetle mule

The 'A' got new shoes. We were out getting them dusty.

[url]http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com[/url]
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
The 'A' got new shoes. We were out getting them dusty.

Jim Galli: New Shoes for Leetle Mule

I see you just pulled back slightly on the exposure which makes things a little richer. This is right for color. A B&W image would also be impressive, even spectacular, but this environmental portrait of the car need to be shown in color too! The light is golden and the shadows long , but it's still bright enough not to have to use a high ISO. I hope you had company for the shot!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

But you did also shoot some film!

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Inactive

Quote:

Jim Galli: New Shoes for Leetle Mule

I see you just pulled back slightly on the exposure which makes things a little richer. This is right for color. A B&W image would also be impressive, even spectacular, but this environmental portrait of the car need to be shown in color too! The light is golden and the shadows long , but it's still bright enough not to have to use a high ISO. I hope you had company for the shot!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

But you did also shoot some film!
I shot a single sheet of film. It's drying as we speak. It will look very different from this.

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I shot a single sheet of film. It's drying as we speak. It will look very different from this.
I knew it! That's what I'd expect.

There was a famous photographer, I though it was something like Bosch, (I'll have to find it), who had a large camera custom built for him and travelled some hundreds of miles across the country to the one single location chosen for his assignment, to expose just several plates, (I believe it was an 11x14 camera!) and then returned home! He developed just one as a test. It was perfect, so he threw out the other undeveloped plates!

I have no doubt that your one sheet was perfect and you didn't need any backup!

Asher

Old September 11th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Inactive

Ha ha ha, not nearly as macho as you paint me. Actually my intent was to shoot with 2 new-2-me antique lenses. A Dagor, and a rather rare Protar IIa. When I got there I discovered I'd left the lenses at home, so set up with the venerable Voigtlander Heliar and did this shot. This was within minutes of the first shot I posted. Maybe 5 minutes earlier. Very different in it's feel.

model a ford in it's natural habitat

This is 6.5X8.5 format with 14" Heliar lens. 1/8th second @ 32 1/2. Film is Kodak Aerial recon Plus X at 125 asa.

Old November 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:

OK, arm twisted and others more noble have posted yet better examples.....

cole & cavin

In this, there's a charming reflection of trees in the rear panel of the motor car that adds a sense of belonging to the landscape. We don't see much evidence of the sun. Still, the light has model the 3 dimensional form of the 2 children within the interior space of the venerable car and the outside of the car is so well built it's hard to imagine we are not looking at the real thing.

Quote:
Ha ha ha, not nearly as macho as you paint me. Actually my intent was to shoot with 2 new-2-me antique lenses. A Dagor, and a rather rare Protar IIa. When I got there I discovered I'd left the lenses at home, so set up with the venerable Voigtlander Heliar and did this shot. This was within minutes of the first shot I posted. Maybe 5 minutes earlier. Very different in it's feel.

This is 6.5X8.5 format with 14" Heliar lens. 1/8th second @ 32 1/2. Film is Kodak Aerial recon Plus X at 125 asa.

Jim,

I'm surprised to see the cars shadow so hard and below the car. The Ford is flatter in the image than the previous case. Perhaps it's due to the lens or else the light.

sher

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Inactive

Quote:

cole & cavin

In this, there's a charming reflection of trees in the rear panel of the motor car that adds a sense of belonging to the landscape. We don't see much evidence of the sun. Still, the light has model the 3 dimensional form of the 2 children within the interior space of the venerable car and the outside of the car is so well built it's hard to imagine we are not looking at the real thing.

Jim,

I'm surprised to see the cars shadow so hard and below the car. The Ford is flatter in the image than the previous case. Perhaps it's due to the lens or else the light.

sher
Hi Sher. Yes, very flat late day desert sunlight. Our light at 6,000 elevation and 3-4 % humidity is different than most places. Very harsh. It doesn't lend itself to defining a sunset shot very well at all.

Old November 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM

Default Sunset in blatant black and white.

Noosa Harbour, Winter Sunset

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 VC FB, image area 16.3cm x 21.4cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera fitted with a 50mm f4.5 lens and #25 red filter.

I did my last serious colour photography in 1977 and I don't feel like going back to it even for a gorgeous sunset. Whether a sunset is a subject that can be done with merit on monochrome materials is a moot point. I happen to think so.
"Photography or the application of the chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation...". Photography, the word, coined and first uttered by Sir John Herschel at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London; 14 March, 1839.
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:10 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 VC FB, image area 16.3cm x 21.4cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera fitted with a 50mm f4.5 lens and #25 red filter.

I did my last serious colour photography in 1977 and I don't feel like going back to it even for a gorgeous sunset. Whether a sunset is a subject that can be done with merit on monochrome materials is a moot point. I happen to think so.
Beautifully convincing Maris.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=Maris Rusis;106359]

Noosa Harbour, Winter Sunset

"Mission accomplished", Maris!

You put the sun, otherwise hidden by trees, in the water. The line to the boat is lyrical. Great touches in the verticals to counter the sweep of the scene. Yes, this works for me too!

Asher

Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You put the sun, otherwise hidden by trees, in the water. The line to the boat is lyrical. Great touches in the verticals to counter the sweep of the scene. Yes, this works for me too!
Asher
Asher, nothing gets past you! The key to the scene is putting the sun and the "hot" patch of sky behind the tree. Once that is done film exposure can be increased to catch nuances of detail in the dark tones. The red filter lifts the pink luminous edges of the clouds to give them a little extra drama. Finally a gentle graded burn was given to the sky whilst being careful to stop short of the black sky - white reflection absurdity.
"Photography or the application of the chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation...". Photography, the word, coined and first uttered by Sir John Herschel at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London; 14 March, 1839.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM

Maris once commented on a photo of mine that to make a sunset shot work, you need more than pretty colors; you need something of interest as well. This shot, in black and white, nicely demonstrates that point.
Old November 28th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Was thinking of posting this picture in B&W, but went for color. I think I'll shoot this on film.

Asher Kelman: The Rodeo collection, Rodeo Drive Beverly Hills

Sigma 8mm 5DII, stitched in Autopano Giga

Old November 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Default Sunset on Rodeo Drive

Asher Kelman: Sunset on Rodeo Drive"
Rodeo Drive, Sigma 8mm 5DII, stitched in Autopano Giga

"Torso": sculpture by Robert Graham, 2003, located in and centered on Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, CA

"A gift to the City of Beverly Hills. Commissioned by the Rodeo Drive Committee on the inauguration
of the Rodeo Drive Walk of Style/Beverly Hills. Honoring legends of fashion and style, June 11, 2003"

Mark,

Are you more comfortable now?

Asher

Old November 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM

Themes should flow from one picture to the next. To keep this thread fast-moving, I've put discussion of my Rodeo Drive picture here.

Asher

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM

Gates with barbed wire fascinate me!

Asher Kelman: Sunset Behind Wire

Asher

Old January 13th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Brian Blakesley: Virga Shimmer