Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Themes

Themes Post the best of your favorites in our "Themes". Brief Comments only!

Old July 6th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Default Come, ride my basket!

Only fifty rupees per person...

Reginald
Old July 6th, 2017, 11:23 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Johnson View Post
Only fifty rupees per person...

Reginald
Reginald,

Pretty bargain price as long as there's no rough water!

This boat is truly a traditional artisan's work. Likely as not the design is unchanged for some 5,000 years or more! The boat is woven and then covered in some fabric, which I presume is cited with bitumen of some sort!

I would love to see more of this kind of craft. What's the local name? Do they build them with sails or outriggers?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 11th, 2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Reginald,

Pretty bargain price as long as there's no rough water!

This boat is truly a traditional artisan's work. Likely as not the design is unchanged for some 5,000 years or more! The boat is woven and then covered in some fabric, which I presume is cited with bitumen of some sort!

I would love to see more of this kind of craft. What's the local name? Do they build them with sails or outriggers?

Asher
Asher,

Yes, there is a fabric or leather covering and the bottom is painted with coal tar. Woven bamboo, real light to be carried by one person. Too light to rig a sail, I think. They call it Kuttavanchi if I remember right. A closer look below.

Reginald

Old July 11th, 2017, 11:49 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Johnson View Post
Asher,

Yes, there is a fabric or leather covering and the bottom is painted with coal tar. Woven bamboo, real light to be carried by one person. Too light to rig a sail, I think. They call it Kuttavanchi if I remember right. A closer look below.

Reginald,

You obviously immediately recognized the significant value of this native ancient design!

What a major human skill development!

This is simply amazing and shows the value of father to son apprenticeship over probably 200,000 years. On boats very close to this, migrants worked their way along coastal waters to gradually settle entire continents, at first following fishing g and hunting opportinties.

We have evidence of such tar covered boats at the time of Stonehenge!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.