• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Apple Spaces - video

Josh Liechty

Various windows managers for the X Window System (the graphics system for Linux and most unices) have been doing this for years. Of course, I won't hold it against Apple if they copy something from time to time, especially if it makes using my Powerbook easier and more efficient. Now it only remains to be seen how long it will take Microsoft to copy this feature from Apple. </wink>

Stan Jirman

I think that the innovation aspect of Spaces is the fact that it works at the same time as Expose. So you can invoke Spaces, see your N desktops, still cluttered; while Spaces are invoked, you invoke Expose, and on each desktop the windows part; then you can pick the one you want and drag it to another desktop.

I don't believe that *u*x has this functionality, even though I will gladly admit that I first used a multiple workspace feature back when I was in college, on HP-UX (lovingly referred to as H-PUX), back last millennium. Personally I never liked that feature because I like my workspace tidy, and one is cluttered enough already, so I don't think I'll use it on Leopard, but it sure is "slick".

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stan,

Could you explain a little more how Expose is a benefit in the Spaces desktop paradigm?

Thanks,

Asher

Stan Jirman

Even with multiple desktops, you can get clutter in such a way that you don't see the forest for the trees. Actually one of the reasons I don't like / use the whole multiple desktops paradigm is that I find it far easier to keep one desktop organized than half a dozen of them (remember, there's always Command-Option-Click on an app icon in the Dock - there's your multiple desktops right away, since 10.0.0).

So, if you have the need for multiple desktops then you are in that situation probably because you have too much stuff lying around. When you invoke the Spaces thing and see 4 screens in front of you (or 8 in the case of a dual-headed system), you see all the desktops with all their clutter. Good times. You still have the problem of fishing out the one window you are after, either to get to it or to move it to another desktop. And that's the beauty of Expose on Spaces - you can see all 4 of your desktops Expose-ing at the same time, and actually dynamically adapting to the new state as you move windows between desktops. Without Expose, you would just see 4 cluttered desktops instead of one.

Again, I still think that Command-Option-Click is still a far simpler and less confusing than Spaces, but it sure as hell makes a slick demo, plus I have no doubt that there is a large number of people who'll genuinely love it, and all the power to them.

Hope this helps!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Stan,

You can teach an old dog new tricks!

I hate clutter, trouble is I keep adding things to my desktop!

Command-option + Click is new to me and a neat clean up tool!

Thanks

Asher