• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First roll of film in a long time!!

Mike Shimwell

I just had a roll of XP2 processed, after shooting it in my Zorki 4K with a Jupiter 8 - how littel contrast can a lens have:)

Here are a couple of scans (epson 3570...) from the roll. No meter used for this film.

Mike

2686726413_8e3f0b8b8a_o.jpg

2687590284_096cf42fae_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's refreshing to see B&W film. It has a great look, especially the last one, which has the features of ribs of a boat and ribs of a person too, but it's just a bridge.

Do you think you had a bit of flare in the first two pics or is it just in need of a curve adjustment?

Anyway, thanks for the change of pace!

Mike Shimwell

Flare

Hi Asher,

the lens has a shocking amount of flare - particularly if you use it wide. You might say it's the antithesis of the zeiss T* lenses:) It's also very soft when used wide, but sharpens up and gains contrast quite nicely when you stop down to f8 or so. The last picture has had some fairly serious contrast enhancement in PS - including a local contrast enhancement layer in soft light mode.

I have to say that I've really enjoyed shooting B&W film again, and plan on continuing to do so. After my comments earlier, I plan on just shooting some 35mm for a bit, and to enjoy it! However, most will be shot through rangefinders of some sort, rather than slr's. Actually, the tonality is also very different from most of my digital B&W conversions, which is a nice tool to have in the box.

It's leading to a scanning conundrum though - flatbed or film.

Mike