• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Artist has asked to paint one of my images - Advice needed!

Scott Hansen

I've been approached by a local artist who has asked to paint one of my images. This is a first for me, and I'm rather clueless as to how to proceed.

Is there a standard rate that I should charge him? What's the norm, if there is one?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Scott Hansen
www.lowcountryphotography.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've been approached by a local artist who has asked to paint one of my images. This is a first for me, and I'm rather clueless as to how to proceed.

Is there a standard rate that I should charge him? What's the norm, if there is one?

Scott,

First, kudos on your site. It's well organized easy to follow and the pictures are great. Just to orient me, let me ask about your prices for your work as prints. I'm amazed by the bargain offerings. Like this:

Picture 11.png

for a nice print like this:

c7638e90-302b-4837-ba8d-2b499566e87a.jpg

It's a lot of work for a modest sum. Are you selling a lot of pictures then to make it worthwhile? What about larger images. Where are the prices? I find that there's a demand for larger pictures these days.

Asher

I have just signed up with Fine Arts America and you set the amount you want to make on each size per image. It seems quite good and I am gradually uploading. I liked the choice of papers available and the big choice of frames and matts - suits everyone's taste.

Mike Shimwell

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Scott Hansen
www.lowcountryphotography.net

Why not let him/her? Ask for a credit or at most a cut of the sale price when he sells his work.

A, relatively successful*, local artist asked to paint a big 12 or 18 by 6 feet tryptich of a section of one mine once and given that he coul dhave just gone and done it I was hapy to let him have a small print to work from. His work was so very different and (unlike some photoraphers) he asked nicely.

Mike

* relatively successful means paying for his food and shelter by doing art.