• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Requiescat in pace

Antonio Correia

This project is about spaces and objects left behind from old people who can't support themselves or have moved to their parents' home because they were unable to live alone any more.
These problems are hand in hand with the social and economical crisis Portugal is facing with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Please click on the image to have a look at the whole project.

Really interesting and touching series, Antonio.

Besides the obvious untidiness, the dead plant and the roll of paper towels that has run out, it is the the little subtle things, like the clothes pin to hold back the curtain, where she just wants to have light and doesn't really care to make it pretty anymore that grabbed me.
I see someone who had little treasures on her walls, and a small penguin which could have been a reminder of a place she visited. Her life reduced to so few little things. I see a very small pile of photos, surely meaningful that are always close by. I see an attempt to organize with all her glasses set together to find easily. I see a place that once was most probably filled with love and laughter now feeling sad and depressed and uncared for. I feel this woman may resemble her home. These pictures make me feel sad. I wish for her, something better.
Maggie

Antonio Correia

I will write you about your kind answers later but now I would like to change the initial text to a correct one and as I was unable to edit the thread. Thank you ! :)
-
This project is about spaces and objects left behind by old people who couldn't support themselves or have moved to their childrens' home because they were unable to live alone any more or have died without any assistance.

These problems are hand in hand with the social and economical crisis Portugal is facing with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Antonio Correia

Thank you Chris and Maggie for you comments. :)

I would like to read more notes on this project but it seems it is not possible... :)

Michael Nagel

Antonio,

Thanks for showing these - even or because this is sad, showing is necessary.
The most visible undertone in this series for me is that giving up not only means material loss, but giving up identiy, even if this is partly. This kind of loss dehumanizes.

I still hope for light at the end of the tunnel.

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you Antonio. These stories are being told in an increasing amount of European countries. Lots of us seem to be looking for that light at the end of tunnel or better still, a way out of the blasted tunnel. Anyway, your series gives me hope. These pictures are a strong evidence of a life lived and tell us that we must not give up, whatever comes.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

A compelling series with social implications. Also by defining your interests you define Antonio Correia, himself!

Asher

Antonio Correia

One more from the project.
Thank you asher from bumping this thread up ! (Is this sentence correct ?)

i-Gz2C9Pj-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

i-Gz2C9Pj-X2.jpg

Antonio,

Your pictures bring consideration to the "left behind". That's an important job. Part of progress is to advance and one can only do that by selecting what to move forward with. However, we do need, (at least a few of us), to turn around, once in a while and to see what we have done in our path in life and what we turned our backs on.

You give us a reminder to the past. Debris is discarded. With it some we should take more care of! We do this to things and to people and even to our loved ones. what's more surprising, we overlook ourselves, what we cherished once and what we leave behind.

Your brush, (as you use your camera), paints "significance" over what we pass by. You do it in portraits and here with detritus of our society. Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

i-Gz2C9Pj-X2.jpg

Antonio,

We can write it anyway we want. As the venerable Winston Churchill once quipped, English as it is spoke!

BTW, I'd love to find an original citation!

Asher