• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Winter Scene

No snow here yet, in fact it's raining, so here's one from a number of years ago:

7441_CO715.jpg

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's hard to associate my winter with that of these posted here. Today I was in shorts and a T-Shirt though admittedly when this shot was made, I'd migrated into a wind breaker - for the wind only as it was still in the mid 70's (F).

11490639435_c09a60c9c2_o.jpg

Brisk: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

Where this safe harbor? Somehow, it feels like winter too. I wonder why the flag is not run up the mast!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hey guys; Asher, James, Cem, Michael, Jarmo..I hope you guys have your fires ( or heaters ) going!!
Lovely images from you all.

p766617293-5.jpg

When the circus came to town!!

Fahim,

When I catch them cutting down a tree, I steal some of the wood for fires and have it cut to size. It takes 6 months to dry the wood but it's now perfect for a cozy fire that evens out the heat and adds some flickering yellow light and seasons jolliness to the room.

Is this scene of yours in Canada or do they actually plant confers in the desert? I'd bet for Canada, as I'd be really bowled over to have Cirque Du Soleil advertised in the Saudi Kingdom!

Asher

Asher Kelman

From Feb 2010 in our backyard with a rare snow in the South Carolina upstate. Not much a chance it will snow here for Christmas this year. :D
Don

IMG_5282_zpsbce969b0.jpg

I didn't realize that this was so unusual in Southern Carolina! It's really beautiful and reminds me of New England or New York!

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

I didn't realize that this was so unusual in Southern Carolina! It's really beautiful and reminds me of New England or New York!

Asher

Thanks, Asher. Yea, we had another one that lasted a few days in Jan 2011. You may remember my barn photo in the snow but it is pretty rare that we get a large amount. This one is from that time in downtown Greenville where we had 8 inches. I loved the solitude on the modern bridge with the snow.
Y'all have a nice Merry Christmas and holiday season.
Don

IMG_5711_zpsc29a6127.jpg

Asher Kelman

This is for Asher, some more ice-skating scenes from the lowlands.

Cem,

You're so right! I love this kind of scene with everywhere one turns a different set of activities, but all related to the one theme of fun on the ice. I must get to see the skating downtown Pershing square. I discovered this picture on the city's website! This is only a winter treat and will be gone in 2 weeks! I had no idea how they make the ice. I thought it was with the giant machines grooming the ice for indoor ice Hockey Games? Well I finally discovered how they do it:

on-ice5.jpg

Source: City of LA Website,
No Photography Credit given

Over 350,000 people attend annually. The approx. 40-by-60-foot open-air ice rink built on a 5-acre parcel next to the civic center is designed to bring residents and tourists together, giving them something special for the holidays........ Workers install special coils connected to a large refrigeration unit, and freeze gallons and gallons of water that are sprayed onto the plates and frozen, one layer at a time, until they form a 2-inch-thick sheet of ice. Source

Still, I'd love to be able to see the scenes with natural ice! Your pictures, Cem are really so full of friends and family just having winter fun!

Thanks again for sharing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is for Asher, some more ice-skating scenes from the lowlands.

Hi Cem,

I realized that your introduction says "lowlands". Are there snow and ice conditions in your part of the country? Although I'm so into your pictures in general, the one's here, of people in recreation, resonate especially strongly with me. I guess I'm romantic, thinking of small communities getting together. It's as if people create "spring" in the winter.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

I realized that your introduction says "lowlands". Are there snow and ice conditions in your part of the country? Although I'm so into your pictures in general, the one's here, of people in recreation, resonate especially strongly with me. I guess I'm romantic, thinking of small communities getting together. It's as if people create "spring" in the winter.

Asher
Hi Asher,

No snow or ice right now. As a matter of fact, we are having the warmest January since 1901. The temperature was 13 degrees centigrade today! I will post some more fun on ice photos in a few hours. I took them yesterday in Amsterdam.

Asher Kelman

My first reaction, Cem is that this is fabulous and so full of happy friends and family and some headstrong individuals. You've got something like 80 groupings, I'd imagine! You individual closeups are fabulous, the Amsterdam letters have to have been very well constructed to withstand the treatment!

This is a in the great tradition of the Flemish masters. Maybe you should stock up with a flask of hot chocolate and pick off groups with a long lens to build one pano of a score of small groupings like the one's you have. Anyway, that's what I'd love to do. I'm thrilled to see this as it really documents the outing everyone has for being indoors in winter!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

The "I amsterdam" letters are made of strong metal, possibly steel. Millions climb on them yearly, so they have to be tough indeed.

Re. the usage of a long lens. I don't have one on my A7 at the moment. I am planning on getting a 135mm lens if I can find a suitable one soon.

PS: the irony of this thread so far is that I am the one who's posted the most pictures while I live in a country where there has been no winter at all so far. lol :)

Sam Hames

We don't have winter (regardless of the time of year). We do have storms:

P1050104.jpg

4pm. Walked 20m in the rain and my shoes were completely soaked.

Sam

Asher Kelman

i-9NPBmjj-L.jpg

Little House On The Prairie​

Jim,

This is the kind of location, that could be used currently or the owners have left with vintage wooden buildings fallen into neglect, that makes for great B&W photography especially popular with those of us shooting in film. There are often giant cobwebs and broken window panes and inside all sorts of abandoned shelving, stove perhaps and a rusty teapot.

In snow, the insides get to be protected for a few months from foraging photographers like me, LOL!

This is a restful image. It seems as if life has been suspended. I like the stark composition the blanket of snow provides to a really complicated landscape. An entire ecosystem of competing plants, insect and small mammals are covered in white and everything seems pristine and basic. Actually, there are factories within factories of ecosystems still working throughout the winter!

Asher

Rob Naylor

Snow, Sun, Sun and Sun - what a difference !

Chateau du Mont (Winter)

6795254515_53b89c1cd9_b.jpg

Chateau du Mont (Spring)

8670860615_364d4bbf85_b.jpg

Chateau du Mont (Summer)

8745114106_12fd4040a8_b.jpg

Chateau du Mont (Autumn)

6776432221_4589daa09e_b.jpg

James Lemon

Jim,

This is the kind of location, that could be used currently or the owners have left with vintage wooden buildings fallen into neglect, that makes for great B&W photography especially popular with those of us shooting in film. There are often giant cobwebs and broken window panes and inside all sorts of abandoned shelving, stove perhaps and a rusty teapot.

In snow, the insides get to be protected for a few months from foraging photographers like me, LOL!

This is a restful image. It seems as if life has been suspended. I like the stark composition the blanket of snow provides to a really complicated landscape. An entire ecosystem of competing plants, insect and small mammals are covered in white and everything seems pristine and basic. Actually, there are factories within factories of ecosystems still working throughout the winter!

Asher

I am glad you enjoyed the image Asher! I pulled over on the side of a busy highway to make this image but not enough time to explore and no snow shoes.Ha ha ha. There are many other old falling down buildings that are interesting in themselves. When summer comes the snow will be replaced with a field of something maybe canola,soya bean or wheat.

Asher Kelman

Snow, Sun, Sun and Sun - what a difference !

Chateau du Mont (Winter)

6795254515_53b89c1cd9_b.jpg

Chateau du Mont (Spring)

8670860615_364d4bbf85_b.jpg

Chateau du Mont (Summer)

8745114106_12fd4040a8_b.jpg

Chateau du Mont (Autumn)

6776432221_4589daa09e_b.jpg

Reminds me of the Haystacks! you must do more with different skies. There must be times when the furloughs of the forehead of heaven are dark and angry or when rain is coming down and lightening threatens the Chateau du mont or this wonderful tree!

You really have no choice now but to set out to make this just the beginning.

How far away is this?

Asher

Rob Naylor

Thanks Cem, James and Asher for your positive comments on the "4 seasons"
This is a really good location, this small chateau is very photogenic from all angles.

Asher - this is about 4kms from my house, easy walking distance, so I do go there quite often.

Asher Kelman

From my vintage files back to 2011!

in NY, Winter can linger till early May!

9BAC4120-2BB6-44F7-8355-F82FD994B82D.jpeg

Asher Kelman: A Remnant of Snow

Asher Kelman

It’s the pile of white on the left! I reconstructed this total scene by stitching various pictures I had made of the park while photographing an interesting new friend, Bernadette, all over New York!
Asher