• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sandisk card playing up.

Mike Craven

I am just checking my gear ready for Saturdays wedding, and on checking my cards one Sandisk Ultra11 @1gb
in both of my 1Dmk11`s in both cameras it shows " card needs formatting" but on trying to format in either body it states cannot format. I formatted it on my computer @Fat 32, and both 1D`s say needs formatting.
Put the card in my 30D and it works fine. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?.

regards

Mike

Paul Caldwell

You might try going back and reformating it via FAT 16. Just a thought. FAT32 doesn't really gain you anything unless you are going above 2GB.

I would also not do a "quick format" but let windoz have the whole card. It shouldn't take too long.

Paul C.

Mike Craven said:
I am just checking my gear ready for Saturdays wedding, and on checking my cards one Sandisk Ultra11 @1gb
in both of my 1Dmk11`s in both cameras it shows " card needs formatting" but on trying to format in either body it states cannot format. I formatted it on my computer @Fat 32, and both 1D`s say needs formatting.
Put the card in my 30D and it works fine. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?.

Never format on the computer. Always format in camera. The reason is that the computer and the camera may not write the FAT to the same location on the card. You then end up with the camera writing files to the old FAT but the comuter cannot read them as the new FAT is still in virgin condition. Please note I learned this the hard way in early 2001 with my first digicam.

I would suggest formatting it in 30D, then trying it in the 1D mk II's and if it still fails, then throw it away. 1 GB CF cards are currently $20 parts from reputable brands (double that for "premium" parts). So is it worth it to you to deal with many potential hours of headaches from loss of files from a wedding? Or would simply replacing the card be a better call for your business?

enjoy,

Sean

Sid Jervis

pro member
That's another reason why I buy from official sources, and register the Sandisk cards on the web site.
I understand that if a card is a fake the web site will reject the registration.

Mike Craven

I purchased 12x 1gb Sandisk Ultra11`s from B&H in New York whilst on a job there last year. They are all registered with Sandisk and are genuine. I have just heard back from Sandisk and they are replacing the faulty card.

Thanks Guys

Mike

Sid Jervis

pro member
Mike Craven said:
I purchased 12x 1gb Sandisk Ultra11`s from B&H in New York whilst on a job there last year. They are all registered with Sandisk and are genuine. I have just heard back from Sandisk and they are replacing the faulty card.

Thanks Guys

Mike
Good outcome, nice to have a company that supports it's products.