• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Show us your best rocks

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Can I bend the idea a little bit?

original.jpg

©2010 Winston Mitchell: Payette River

This is perfect, my dear Winston! But why is the water so green?

Asher

Joachim Bolte

_5020081.jpg
Copyright J. Bolte - Preparing for ascent

Not so much about the rocks themselves, but what you can do with them... This is a picture taken in Fontainebleau, France. One of the nicest 'bouldering' area's in the world.

Asher Kelman

_5020081.jpg
Copyright J. Bolte - Preparing for ascent

Not so much about the rocks themselves, but what you can do with them... This is a picture taken in Fontainebleau, France. One of the nicest 'bouldering' area's in the world.

Joey,

The Rock in the back looks alive, like a giant lizard creature coming from the right.''

I really like the picture!

Asher

Here are mine (4 of them) It's really hard to "compete" now :)

WinchesterPavement.jpg

Winchester not really rocks but stone made by humans...

SevenSistersWaterChalk.jpg

Low tide at Seven Sisters, the place at the end of "Quadrophenia".

ToulouseWaterPeebles.jpg

A built pond somewhere in Toulouse France

AlbiRock.jpg

A close up from a mere rock in Albi, south western France.

rocks, eh?

A wonderful theme. I live in a desert country, my family comes from Scotland, which is mostly rock. Let's see what I can find:

91347199.jpg

This one jumped out at me from Pbase's random selection. It was down near the Dead Sea. There's a wide range of water sources coming into the soup at the bottom,

106349496.jpg

but to really see wate and rocks working together, you have to go to Scotland:

33442487.jpg

Killin, 2004, taken with a camera that was stolen and whose colors I sometimes miss...

scott

Asher Kelman

Here are mine (4 of them) It's really hard to "compete" now :)

Sandrine,

Let me comment on the middle two first!

SevenSistersWaterChalk.jpg

Sandrine Bascouert: Low tide at Seven Sisters, the place at the end of "Quadrophenia"

So dynamic, seeming to have live fingers and beautiful dead bones in a dance!

ToulouseWaterPeebles.jpg

Sandrine Bascouert: A built pond somewhere in Toulouse France

This has a delicate but complex sensibility returning from smudged reality in the upper right to clarity in the lower left, giving a surprisingly relaxing experience.

Asher

Asher Kelman

but to really see wate and rocks working together, you have to go to Scotland:

33442487.jpg

Scott Kirkpatrick: Killin, 2004

Taken with a camera that was stolen
and whose colors I sometimes miss...

Scott,

This picture is exceptional for it's nesting, in the b.g. of a house likely made from the very same rock. I doubt this can be readily surpassed!

Asher

More rocks 'n water

Here's a rock formation that takes a volcanic past to develop:

Hexagons, forming a curtain above a nice deep cold pool:

111413091.jpg

It's in the Golan Heights, and offers really deep water to jump or dive into:

111419325.jpg

I have one more, but have connectivity problems... maybe later

scott

last one in the hexagon pool series -- the source

taken just above the pool in the preceding picture

111415460.jpg

The pool is just below the ancient site of Gamla, a less-known zealots' redoubt that outlasted Masada by a few years. Now its name belongs to some good cabernets, grown in fields surrounded by signs warning of unexploded mines.

scott

fahim mohammed

Maybe not the best; but definitely one of the most treacherous and magnificent...the northern side of the Eiger ( 3900 mts) seen from across the right.

p313244354.jpg

We shall meet it head-on sometime later; and maybe look down at the valley below...

Asher Kelman

Maybe not the best; but definitely one of the most treacherous and magnificent...the northern side of the Eiger ( 3900 mts) seen from across the right.

p313244354.jpg

We shall meet it head-on sometime later; and maybe look down at the valley below...

Fahim,

Hope you are not risking life and limb for us! This is epic landscape, when you see this I expect another few commandments at least! No one can argue with these rocks!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Andy, thank you for your gracious comments. It was there, I just clicked. Honestly, nothing more to it.

Asher, limb maybe but more aghast at the wonder that lay before me.

Thank you folks for stopping by.

Andy brown

. It was there, I just clicked. Honestly, nothing more to it.

So it's what I'd call an instinctive composition. Trust your eye and shoot. A bit like walking up and hitting a golf ball, sometimes labouring over what you might or might not do just gets in the way.

Andy brown

I love the fact that there's a certain mount Rushmore ghosting going on, I've got about 4 distinctive icy heads going on. All of whom have a certain world weariness in their expressions. Very reverential.