• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Chance", sometimes it just happens! Share what you caught that way!

John Detraz

My wife and I sat for about an hour watching four Bull Elk graze when the leader decided to pose for us. CC

This guy seems to be enjoying his supper. CC

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

My wife and I sat for about an hour watching four Bull Elk graze when the leader decided to pose for us. CC

This guy seems to be enjoying his supper. CC

John,

I think you are lucky and luckier to have your camera ready! I like the first one especially becasue of the composition. The second would be great for some competition as to what it might be thinking or saying, LOL

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi John,

Let me focus on the first picture. It has one a repeat of the branching form in the log that leads to the main subject the Elk with its beautiful antlers. The asymmetry works perfectly for you.

5756433921_833e82c5fd_z.jpg

John Detraz: Bull Elk

Original

Because of the very success of your composition, I wondered whether this particular picture might be especially suited for a presentation which excels in showcasing texture, form and movement. That is B&W. more work had been invested by photographers in this form of picture making than any other and the major distracting forces of color do not filter the forms.

Elk_BandW1.jpg

John Detraz: Bull Elk

Edited by ADK for B&W with permission

Hope this works too! The experience is still wonderful but even focused on the bull and perhaps I may say, more peaceful. The grass no longer takes attention away from the splendid animal!

The only further change might be to remove 3/4 cm from the lower border to stop that from distracting.

Asher

John Detraz

Asher,

I took over 200 pictures during the hour we sat watching four Bull Elks all different ages grazing and relaxing, I have several other pictures that are nice however this one is the best, I was excited when I noticed the logs in the background and was able to crop another elk out on the right and still have a balanced photo.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.