Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old May 30th, 2018, 06:28 PM

Default 20 Minutes on a Street Curb

High noon street photography. On my walk home - about half way - I found a high curb to sit on at a busy intersection that I have not photographed previously. Besides the large number of buses passing in front of me as they turned, picked up people, dropped people off —- directly across from me was a steep hill disappearing down, so that people and vehicles were rising over the crest into the view of my long lens - to the right, people walked down a narrow street and then crossed the busy intersection right into my view. Here are a few of the shots. Taken with Olympus E-M10 w/40-150 kit lens. I used shutter priority exposure at 1/2500’th second to stop action.

Old May 30th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Old May 30th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Old May 30th, 2018, 09:49 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

If I just took this one picture, I’d have been thrilled!

What is he doing with that money!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 30th, 2018, 10:09 PM

Thanks Asher.

There is always a driver and a guy directing people in and out of the bus and collect g money - like this guy is. We have seen different times where they fold bills in half and then weave them through their fingers for storage.
Old May 31st, 2018, 02:09 AM

All these have a lot of energy as if there people have in them dynamos generating a life energy force!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:57 AM

More fun street shots. You certainly got some stern looks.
Old May 31st, 2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
More fun street shots. You certainly got some stern looks.
Interesting comment, Peter!

It never occurred to me that the folk were reacting to the camera aimed toward them! I just assumed that a lens surreptitiously came from behind a scarf or jacket and the image was recorded.

My take was that we had simply sampled the determined “focus” of folk “doing what they do”. Footballers, especially woman often get caught with grimaces on their faces as they put all their effort into some intervention or kick!

But now that is all in doubt!

So Robert, do you think you captured “what was happening” or you rippled the calm waters with your self-insertion into their field of vision and safety?

Asher

Old May 31st, 2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Interesting comment, Peter!

It never occurred to me that the folk were reacting to the camera aimed toward them! I just assumed that a lens surreptitiously came from behind a scarf or jacket and the image was recorded.

My take was that we had simply sampled the determined “focus” of folk “doing what they do”. Footballers, especially woman often get caught with grimaces on their faces as they put all their effort into some intervention or kick!

But now that is all in doubt!

So Robert, do you think you captured “what was happening” or you rippled the calm waters with your self-insertion into their field of vision and safety?

Asher
Personally I have hardly ever seen people just walking around smiling. That would be very unnatural to me. Generally people when on a mission of getting some place or boarding or exiting buses or watching traffic at intersections - have their minds occupied. That is not conducive to smiling or even being relaxed. Generally smiling on a Street would come from an interaction with a oncomer who they may know or who may be friendly.

A smiling or happy disposition happens on occassiio - like the girl crossing the street in this series - and who knows what she was thinking at the moment or who or what she saw that created that feeling in her. And young kids often are smiling as they are talking with each other and having fun. As for stern looks at the camera, I don’t believe that is from annoyance- but curiosity or probably just wondering what I am doing. I have never gotten a sense of anger from anyone. I am simply capturing a fraction of a second 1/2500’th sec. where no one is prepared to make themselves look perfect for the camera.

Everyone is always in motion and they move past me in a split second. I rarely have them in the frame to grab a second shot.

———
Old June 1st, 2018, 11:24 PM

Nice Candid Images shared.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 11:59 AM

There is such a lot to discover here.

I just realized what the little boy is doing! He’s showing the photographer’s camera his Batman action figure!!

Now that is amazing. The kid is proud feels it’s inportabt that you record this!

Asher