• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Skating dance

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Last Saturday night with a good friend of mine we went to see his 2 daughters participating in the year's Gala des Patineurs in Bordeaux… I've been kindly asked to give it some shots…

It's the first time I shoot an indoor sport…
Shot from the spectator seat, IDsMk III, 70-200 IS + 1.4 TC, handheld, 1600 ISO, fill flash, processed with C1 pro 4.8

_45R0256.jpg

_45R0404.jpg

_45R0556.jpg

_45R0611.jpg

Full gallery

Rachel Foster

They look like terrific skaters. It seems to me that if athletes/performers look good, that's a tribute to the skill of the photographer.

Nice!

nicolas claris

They look like terrific skaters. It seems to me that if athletes/performers look good, that's a tribute to the skill of the photographer.

Nice!

Thank you Rachel, but I think that if they look terrific, it's because they are! Then the skill of the photographer is not to spoil that!
Anyway, I tried my best, just as them…

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Nic

What a change of discipline for you shooting in low light indoors, you did really well! I particularly like the 2nd and the last one. The 2nd one I like the diagonal line of the light filled with their shadows. The last one - the little girl to the rear looks like she's really enjoying herself, very nice! Did you enjoy doing something so different?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nic

What a change of discipline for you shooting in low light indoors, you did really well! I particularly like the 2nd and the last one. The 2nd one I like the diagonal line of the light filled with their shadows. The last one - the little girl to the rear looks like she's really enjoying herself, very nice! Did you enjoy doing something so different?
Yes, the 2nd and the 4th are especially nice. What a change from your usual indeed. I like them, also the full album on the net.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Did you enjoy doing something so different?

Yes Janet, I did! it's always challenging to get out of our own small usual world… a lot to learn and keep humble.
But in a way, for me, photography has some permanent aspects, such as the search to show beauty as I see it, each of my pictures has embedded the phrase "look at that!".
Sometimes it seems I succeed, some times not.
We're all sharing the same World but we don't look at it the same way, we're not moved by the same things, that's to me the real human richness. Understanding this makes us much more open minded, and, back to photography, what I try to entertain/promote…
The real compliment about pictures is
They look like terrific skaters
or
the little girl to the rear looks like she's really enjoying herself
much more than
you did really well
. I am only an eyewitness to beauty with a camera.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

These are unusual for you! However, not from my perspective. I have copies of some of your recent fine prints celebrating the reverse of light. Here's an area where what I know of your strong interest in natural shadows. This comes into play in your pictures here as components of the composition and feel of the photograph and are not just extras we'd rather not have there.

_45R0404.jpg

_45R0611.jpg

This last picture, is a pattern that delights.

Asher