• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Masters of the Ocean

Jameson Smith

Kite Boarding Worlds: Dominican Republic

Serious Vertical!
IMG_7862.jpg

This could hurt!
IMG_8126.jpg

Don't miss!

IMG_8278.jpg

Shred Hard!
IMG_8246.jpg

Nigel Allan

Great stuff, Jameson. I think your signature says it all. This is the kind of adrenalin photography you like to do and are very very good at.

IU'd like to know a little more about how you go about capturing these images. What kind of camera and lens combo, ISO, shutter speed and so on. How many you shoot before you hit paydirt so to speak. Are many shots wasted?

All this sort of information would help me personally to know if I was adequately prepared if ever I wanted to take action shots if you get my drift

Jameson Smith

Thanks for the comments Nigel! This is one of the many forms of photography I love.

As for the images themselves... All of these were shot at ISO400, 1/1250, f8.0. I was really close range so I didn't want to chance having the kiters move out of my DOF hence shooting the higher f stop. The lens makes all the difference in the world shooting sports in my opinion. If your timing is good you can make due with a lesser expensive body and a quality lens. Believe it or not these were all shot on an XTi as it was before I got my 1D mkII. For lens I am shooting a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. In shooting any sports you don't get what you don't shoot so switch the camera over to high drive and let it rip when you've got the action.

If you know the sport you know when a good shot is coming up so in this case I'd look for the kiter to load up for a trick and then start shooting as they begin and stop once they land. This gives me the option to pick the best moment of the sequence or put together an action sequence photo of that trick. Where I find I choose not to use shots is if the trick was really unimpressive or if I'm just not feeling the image.

I've got more kiting and windsurfing pictures from this summer that I'll get to posting soon. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Nigel Allan

no, that's brilliant. This sort of back story makes the pictures even more interesting, don't you think? Thanks for sharing this and your expertise in this

John Angulat

pro member
Seems like I'm always late to the party...

...story of my life!
Sorry I haven't had a chance to pay you deserved compliments on these fine images.
As you know, I've been "otherwise detained..."
So my friend, I'll just say "great shots!"