• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Beauty Shoot!" or "P-TTL Blinkies" or "A Better Bounce Card"

"Beauty Shoot!" or "P-TTL Blinkies" or "A Better Bounce Card"

Sorry for the complicated title. I was going to stick with just "Beauty Shoot!" but I felt that would be too much of a "bait and switch", so I went all out and put all the themes in the title.

Also, please bear with me - there are 6 pictures required to tell the story.

As you might've guessed, if you're familiar, I am in posession of what is called on the internet "A Better Bounce Card". I was intrigued by this low cost method and included are some sample shots. You can use this method to reflect forward or backward and because of the foam paper used, when reflecting backward, some of the light "seeps" through and provides very soft direct fill.

What I wasn't anticipating is a solution to a long standing problem I've had with my one cat, and model here, Honey. She is, as most models are, tightly wound =D. She is high strung with lightning quick reflexes. Therefore, preflash-ttl tends to catch her with her eyes closed.

All shots are K10D, 50mm f/1.4, 1/180, AF540FGZ + A Better Bounce Card, post processed in Bibble.

PREFLASH-TTL BLINK
Here is an example of the model, Honey, reacting to the preflash-ttl exposure measurement - the cats eyes were OPEN before I pressed the release.

Bounce card reflecting forward:
blink.jpg

Since I was experimenting with my new bounce card, I turned the flash around so the light was reflecting off the bounce card onto the ceiling and wall behind me. Also, because this bounce card is made of foam, some of the light transmitted forward through the bounce card. I was suprised to find that this seems to solve the preflash-ttl blinkies that I encounter so often with this model!

BEAUTY SHOOT WITH HONEY!

Now here's the part you've all been waiting for. Technical problems solved, we can now proceed with "the action"!

Here are some samples from the shoot, all with my new foam based bounce card reflecting backwards:
take1.jpg

take2.jpg

take3.jpg

CONCLUSION

Thanks for hanging in there! In the right room, I think this bounce card does a nice job. Also, the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 is nice and sharp, stopped down a several stops (duh!).

Please forgive all the model's hair on the set, she sheds this time of year! =D
_______

PS: I had originally included some candids of the model, but ran into the OPF 4 IMAGES rule. However, you can still see the candids in the second post!

Candids of the model

Here is an example of the model, attitude apparent, waiting for the shoot to begin!

Bounce card reflecting backwards:

candid.jpg

Here is our model getting irate with one of the other models trying to steal the show!

irritable.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Very Cute!

Love those models. Somehow the first seems like she was catnapping on the job as opposed to reacting to the flash, but, of course a model like that could easily get bored and have "cattitude" for the apparent lack of pay she is receiving for the job at hand.

Somehow the first seems like she was catnapping on the job as opposed to reacting to the flash,

I know! When I first starting noticing this preflash effect on her, I thought my timing was horrible. But, over time, I realized that she actually is reacting to the preflash!

but, of course a model like that could easily get bored and have "cattitude" for the apparent lack of pay she is receiving for the job at hand.

Cattitude for lack of pay... Hmph! I am basically her servant! I fetch her food, her water, and even clean up after her (if you know what I mean =)

A Better Bounce Card

More info on how to make your own "Better Bounce Card" can be found HERE.

I don't have, and can't find, a picture of the device. I'll take a snap of it tonight.

Bounce Card Photos

Here are some photos of the bounce card:

abbc1.jpg

A Better Bounce Card w/ Attachment Band (+ AF 540 FGZ)

abbc2.jpg

Bounce Card Reflecting Forward

abbc3.jpg

Bounce Card Reflecting Backward

Ron Morse

Thats pretty neat. Seems to work well.
I watched the clip. All the way through I thought it was Asher until he said his name was Peter Gregg.

Ray West

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the links. I watched the videos. I wish he'd 'hammed it up' even more. Maybe the next he'll set to music with a chorus of kids to cut to the line. I think the 'plastic foam paper', whatever he called it, may be very similar to the sort of white cushion wrap packing that is used over things like the plastic covers on epson printers.

Best wishes,

Ray

-snip-

Cattitude for lack of pay... Hmph! I am basically her servant! I fetch her food, her water, and even clean up after her (if you know what I mean =)

Dogs have owners, cats have staff

I have 5 studio assistants, who insist on helping as much as possible, always at the wrong times and in the wrong ways. Help yesterday almost cost me a monoblock strobe when my assistant thought the dangling sync cord was a toy

It's actually denser than that, but go for it!

I found the exact same thing he uses at Michaels. It was by the stickers.

I think in the second video he may mention how to order it online... not sure.