• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Canon announces the new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I already tried to find out if B&H has it but it's not listed. If the lens merely focuses better with the 5DII it would be well worth the upgrade. I can't imagine that the optics won't be improved too. Canon, of course realizes that their lenses have to keep abreast of the fine sensel arrays. for my work, the main lenses for serious people work are the 50mm and 70-200 mm focal lengths. I have already decided to get wide angle lenses for architectural work. I never expected to be faced with an opportunity for better optics as we just were used to the 70-200 2.8L: and 4.0 L being spectacular. I cannot say I am suffering from some distortion or aberration that limits my creativity. However, if one can grab focus easier and the lens happens to be a little better, then I'll get it.

Asher

I already tried to find out if B&H has it but it's not listed. If the lens merely focuses better with the 5DII it would be well worth the upgrade. I can't imagine that the optics won't be improved too.

The optics have been overhauled significantly, and it seems to result is an overall improved MTF response (better (micro-)contrast). The short end of the focus range seems to benefit most. Whether that will benefit current users of the older model enough to upgrade, remains to be seen. It's probably going to be the new workhorse lens for many professional photographers in the press and travel scene.

Here are the MTF curves from the Canon Japan site, for the 'old' model, and for the new model.

From an early image I saw on the internet (supposedly from this new lens), the background bokeh looks very smooth, the foreground bokeh can cause 'double contours', as with most recent designs. There also seems to be some longitudinal chromatic aberration at 200mm at f/4 and wider.

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Ouch! The price!!!

Hi Bart,

The price of this lens has really knocked me off my shoes today when I have realized that it is almost the double of the Mk I version! In our favorite store it is advertised at Euro 2,969 and in the UK it is priced at GBP 2,799!

I wonder how they can justify this gigantic increase in price? IMO, the improvements to Mk II are not such quantum leaps to justify this 1 for the price of 2 policy. Go figure!

Cheers,

Bernhard Rees

... In our favorite store it is advertised at Euro 2,969 and in the UK it is priced at GBP 2,799!

I wonder how they can justify this gigantic increase in price? ...
We have to be patient what kind of real street price will be offered when this new lens is available in March. Pricing here in Germany seems to be a little bit more moderate. Current price tag is between 2.350 and 2.400 € if listed in the shops already. Still a significant increase in pricing anyways!

Let us wait and see what kind of sweet spots are added to this lens we can benefit from in our daily photography.

Regards,

Bernhard

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The optics have been overhauled significantly, and it seems to result is an overall improved MTF response (better (micro-)contrast). The short end of the focus range seems to benefit most. Whether that will benefit current users of the older model enough to upgrade, remains to be seen. It's probably going to be the new workhorse lens for many professional photographers in the press and travel scene.
Bart,

I think you're right! For pros this lens, if it delivers much of its promises is going to be the standard lens for a lot of professionals. Having an extra edge in focus in dim light or changing conditions is justification enough for that "money shot". I, for sure will get it as I need whatever edge I can get.

Here are the MTF curves from the Canon Japan site, for the 'old' model, and for the new model.

How do you think this translates to practical use? My main use is at 3-5.6.

Asher

How do you think this translates to practical use? My main use is at 3-5.6.

Hi Asher,

I guess that remains to be seen, but according to the MTFs it's suggesting to be an improvement versus the older version. How much is is question that can't be answered just yet, but the performance of the f/4 version's optical system does hold a promise.

Cheers,
Bart