• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Empires of Fear

Greetings,

Now that the Olympics are performed in China, more attention is payed to this empire of which we get so little informations otherwise.

I read an interesting article on the german magazine "Der Spiegel" concerning the census of Internet access. The Spiegel itself is censored in China.

The census of the internet has been achieved with the help of US companies such as Cisco. Nothing new on that part, when a profit is to be made, rarely they will question the ethics or the cause they supply technology for.

Newsweek eloquently called the methods China applies "Repression 2.0". :)

There are only estimates available, but it seems as if only 200 million chinese have access to the internet. Sites like amnesty international of course are blocked completly.

People who wish to surf the net in Internet Cafe's have to fill out a form with their name and adress first. In Lahsa thousands of people received SMS messages to keep up the law and obbey to authorities.

Crazy times....

doug anderson

Greetings,

Now that the Olympics are performed in China, more attention is payed to this empire of which we get so little informations otherwise.

I read an interesting article on the german magazine "Der Spiegel" concerning the census of Internet access. The Spiegel itself is censored in China.

The census of the internet has been achieved with the help of US companies such as Cisco. Nothing new on that part, when a profit is to be made, rarely they will question the ethics or the cause they supply technology for.

There are only estimates available, but it seems as if only 200 million chinese have access to the internet. Sites like amnesty international of course are blocked completly.

People who wish to surf the net in Internet Cafe's have to fill out a form with their name and adress first. In Lahsa thousands of people received SMS messages to keep up the law and obbey to authorities.

Crazy times....

In the revolution, China replaced one form of imperialism with another. Same thing happened with Stalin. It's sort of like petrified wood, which is a mineral replica of the original structure, more impenetrable and rigid.

Because I have Vietnamese friends, I have been privy to conversations about post-revolutionary China, which is every bit as rigid as the Vietnamese are not.

Gary Ayala

Although I am but a very very small cog ... there are times I do what I can to protest the wrongs of this world. After watching the Congressial Hearing on Yahoo and how Yahoo turned over records to the Chinese government which, in turn, was used to arrest and convict Chinese journalists ... I've been disassociating myself from Yahoo. I've replace my Yahoo email with a Hotmail address, no longer participate on Flickr, et cetera.

I've read of people who refuse to purchase Chinese products. It is very had, their choices are limited and expensive ... but they have managed (usually the people simply look for a "Made in China" label ... they don't research to see if any components are made in China). I respect those who walk the walk.

Gary

doug anderson

Greetings,

Crazy times....

China's methods are what George Bush would really like to employ if he could get away with it.

Dave McAllister

While 200 million accessing the internet does seem low in a country with more than five times that number in population, a large amount of Chinese live on rural farms with no electricity, nonetheless computers or the internet. I looked up some numbers a few days ago, and roughly eighty percent of the US population lives in cities, so internet access here is more expected to be part of life. With that as the case, I'm not surprised nor horrified at the number. The censorship thos 200 million face, on the other hand, is heartbreaking.

Rhys Sage

pro member
I've read of people who refuse to purchase Chinese products. It is very had, their choices are limited and expensive ... but they have managed (usually the people simply look for a "Made in China" label ... they don't research to see if any components are made in China). I respect those who walk the walk.

Gary

It is hard but my wife and I do our best to avoid stuff made in China. My wife hunted for a new desk for her office and eventually found a really good one, made in California. I know how good it is - I had to put it together! It'll withstand a bomb blast.

I try to avoid China although I do occasionally find stuff there on Ebay that I just can't get elsewhere.

Gary Ayala

It is hard but my wife and I do our best to avoid stuff made in China. My wife hunted for a new desk for her office and eventually found a really good one, made in California. I know how good it is - I had to put it together! It'll withstand a bomb blast.

I try to avoid China although I do occasionally find stuff there on Ebay that I just can't get elsewhere.

Being it was made in California ... it was probably designed to withstand an earthquake ... rather than a bomblast.

Gary