• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Handling "Feedback" in art, the Photographer's Conundrum!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Sensible People Artist's Depend On!

In every technical comment made by sensible persons you'll find an understanding of what you aimed for.

And if you don't, it may be that what you aimed for is not understandable. A valuable comment in itself.

I find the emphasis on sensible persons to be a bit disconcerting.

Who are these people? Is there a list somewhere? How do you recognize them? Will they buy my art?

Yes all 'sensible people' will buy your art ;)

The problem is there's few of them!

This is a fascinating set of reactions to the use of the word "sensible".

We do, in fact, depend on these folk to have our art work in the marketplace, with our clients, benefactors and in our community. We want the viewers to be sensible in realizing the worth of our work and that we have to have payment enough to thrive and do more work for them to enjoy and/or use productively in their own lives.

We also need them to be sensible, in terms of sensitivity to our own quirks and vision as creators and not try to govern what we do. Also they need to be sensible enough to say what they do need and give us an opportunity to project our own vision into the landscape the find empty and needing out work.

So sensibly does not meed "not foolish, but rather it means sensitive and prudent.

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Alain,

That's why Nicolas claris, faced with a more difficult market raised his prices! :)

Asher

Good idea when faced with a reduced audience. I did the same. I also stopped selling inexpensive products like music CDs. I now let Amazon sell those. Just because the economy is tanking doesn't mean I have to tank too.

I also buy houses that I rent to tenants (I have 2 so far plus the one I live in). That way I don't only offer a want but also a need. Real estate is dirt cheap right now.

Ed Rizk

An artist has a message or feeling to convey. A message requires an audience. If the audience is not receptive to the message, the message is useless. Opinions count.

An great work of art may appeal only to a small segment of the population because of age or cultural bent, but if no one other than the artist likes it, it's no good. Negative opinions presented with constructive criticism can help an artist actually convey the message or feeling to the desired audience. Most artists are way too sensitive or arrogant about their art for their own good.

As far as commercialization goes, I agree that there is a lot of junk sold by great marketing, and a lot of great work unsold because of bad marketing, but the market is not always stupid.

If I understand where Asher is going with this thread, he is absolutely right. We should be free with our opinions as critics and appreciative of them as artists.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
The history of art testifies resoundingly against your point of view, Ed. Tastes and social mores blow in the wind. A great many "great" artists (and, yes, more recently photographers) were utterly ignored or condemned in their times.

"Message" in art does not require an audience today. "Opinions" are like smoke.

Ed Rizk

The history of art testifies resoundingly against your point of view, Ed. Tastes and social mores blow in the wind. A great many "great" artists (and, yes, more recently photographers) were utterly ignored or condemned in their times.

"Message" in art does not require an audience today. "Opinions" are like smoke.

Thanks for the response, Ken.

I know of many such examples. To make matter worse, even those who are successful in life typically become more successful after death. Still I would rather speak to those living in my own time than to those I will never meet.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Feedback is always appreciated when something in a photograph here earns respect in some way. Dealing with comments is another skill set. "A job well done" is appreciated, but so are hints, ideas and suggestions if framed in a constructive manner. Hopefully, there's a balance!

Asher