Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old February 22nd, 2018, 08:28 PM

Default Street Photography Central America

Out wandering the streets today. One handheld camera (Olympus E-PL3) and one lens (45mm f1.8) only.

Old February 22nd, 2018, 08:54 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Oh my goodness, Robert!

How can you come across such fabulous and energetic shots! Damn good. Even if you sinned, the Angel Gabriel will put his foot in the down elevator door and tank you our as his personal documentarian! Such shots are so rich and fabulous.

I don't count this as have responded to the pictures, as each one is deserving of attention!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Oh my goodness, Robert!

How can you come across such fabulous and energetic shots! Damn good. Even if you sinned, the Angel Gabriel will put his foot in the down elevator door and tank you our as his personal documentarian! Such shots are so rich and fabulous.

I don't count this as have responded to the pictures, as each one is deserving of attention!

Asher
Very kind of you Asher
Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:58 PM

Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:03 PM

Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:48 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Robert this series is absolutely fabulous!
So rich with colours, lights, captured movements and so precise framing!
I also love, when I'm on vacation, to shoot with one lens only, one have to concentrate much more on framing!
Thank you for sharing these : )
BTW An interesting social study could be made with this series, especially with the influence of the "smart" phones…
Old February 23rd, 2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
Robert this series is absolutely fabulous!
So rich with colours, lights, captured movements and so precise framing!
I also love, when I'm on vacation, to shoot with one lens only, one have to concentrate much more on framing!
Thank you for sharing these : )
BTW An interesting social study could be made with this series, especially with the influence of the "smart" phones…
Thank you Nicolas
Old February 23rd, 2018, 08:01 AM

Really great street shots!
Old February 23rd, 2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Really great street shots!
Thanks James
Old February 23rd, 2018, 08:09 AM

My shooting companions yesterday (pic taken with my iPhone)

Old February 26th, 2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post

Robert,

Brilliant! Simply unbeatable craft! You didn't just ace the shot...

....... you have slain us too!

What are they discussing? Does it matter? They are not in a hurry and the relationship itself is the subject. If this was on a theater stage we'd think, "What a creative director! He really set up both characters in one brilliant staging decision as tonposition, postures and where they look!"

This kind of shot is easily of the standard that Bresson liked to reach himself, when he was at his best. I think you are his equal but do it in color! I am not sure what is more difficult, seeing those poses are capturing it in color which add such difficult layers of complexity with the colors that each shout and scream emotionally, trying to distract us. But you do this with aplomb!

I challenge others to seek a favorite to connect with and bond to!

I only commented on the first picture in this set of images, but that is just for now!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 26th, 2018, 05:38 PM

I very much appreciate your sentiments Asher.

Sometimes I wish that I had more insights into what was going on in my images - but these scenes just seem to always present themself to me. I snap and often move on two steps to the next scene without any dialogue. LOL

A funny thing with the last shot of the girl selling oranges. When she saw me walking toward her with my camera at my waist - she reached up to her face, I presumed to cover it from the camera. It all happened so fast, and when I look at the pic after the fact, she may be making a nasty gesture that I stink or something like that. What did take her hand away from her face was 3 steps later when she was close enough to me that she went into her sales pitch to sell me on her produce. The possibility of money overrode alli inhibitions. In case you are wondering, I did not buy anything. And fact is, she isn’t sure that I took a picture.

——
Old February 26th, 2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post

I should tell the story behind this image. I witnessed it.

So half a block before I took this shot, a fellow walks past me from the front and only a few seconds later, a fellow passes me from behind, bends over and picks up something off the ground. He looks around (later I realize to see if the fellow now behind me, noticed) - thumbs through the wallet as he is walking along.

I notice up the street that he is approaching a lady with a bag on her head and fruit in her hand - the lady stops him and talks to him while pointing in my direction - presumably to the man far behind me by now - then she takes the wallet from the man and heads in my direction to return the wallet to its owner. Even though I grabbed 3 similar shots, this one struck me with the look of astonishment - or probably disappointment on the mans face as he looks back at her walking away. And I can sure see the annoyance and determination in her face.

NOW - DOESN’T THAT PUT A DIFFERENT SLANT ON THIS PHOTOGRAPH.

———
Old February 27th, 2018, 01:58 AM

Once again, the idea that a good picture must "Speak for itself!" Is again shown to be a superficial statement, at least in this unique case, LOL!

Asher

Old February 27th, 2018, 09:24 PM

Beautiful set Robert. Loved the vibrant colors.