• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Retouch Forum

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have had requests for a retouch forum.

Of course it can be within one of the existing rooms like portrait, landscape, events and so forth or, since it involves some common technics, a unique forum.

This woud be done at a time that we would, if we do it, consolidate, some existing overlapping forums.

So just give some feedback on the idea.

Asher

Last edited:

Diane Fields

Asher Kelman said:

Of course it can be withing one of the existing rooms like portrait, landscape, events and so forth or, since it involves some common technics, a unique forum.

This woud be done at a time that we would, if we do it, consolidate, some existing overlapping forums.

Asher

Just my opinion, but I don't think it should necessarily be included in a specific forum. Seems to me it would work well in the RAW workflow area---expanding upon that since its obvious that most everyone does PP after RAW conversion.

Diane

Harvey Moore

I have seen rooms like that on other boards.

It helps to concentrate them in one spot, easy to find, eliminates any lingering doubt re "Is it ok if I edit this and repost?"

It would help to be able to upload the larger raw and tiff etc files for temporary storage and download by those who "Pick up the gauntlet"

Diane Fields

Harvey Moore said:
I have seen rooms like that on other boards.

It helps to concentrate them in one spot, easy to find, eliminates any lingering doubt re "Is it ok if I edit this and repost?"

It would help to be able to upload the larger raw and tiff etc files for temporary storage and download by those who "Pick up the gauntlet"

Ah, perhaps we are talking about 2 different things. I'm thinking expansion of the RAW workflow to include PP techniques. You are thinking about something similar to the challenge No reason they can't be part and parcel of the same though.

Diane

Tim Armes

Asher Kelman said:

Of course it can be within one of the existing rooms like portrait, landscape, events and so forth or, since it involves some common technics, a unique forum.

Asher
Hello,

I don't think that it makes much sense to place retouching in a forum like "landscapes". Such a forum would be a good place to discuss general post-processing techniques, and these techniques are most often applicable to all types of images...

I vote for a separate forum.

Now I think about it, I would like to see the "JPEG Workflow" forum converted to a general retouching forum.

Tim

Last edited:

Bernard Wolf

pro member
I would give retouching it's own forum because it covers so many situations or you could have a photoshop forum and retouching would be included in that area.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bernard Wolf said:
I would give retouching it's own forum because it covers so many situations or you could have a photoshop forum and retouching would be included in that area.

What would be the interest in a pure Retouching forum where problems in photographs would be addressed?

This would be different from the "Challenges in RAW processing: optimize this" where the Title and a RAW file only are shared and the challenge is to process the RAW file with the esthetic of each photographer's choice and comfort .

Retouching would be based on the original artists current goal of achieving a particular endpoint or goal which (s)he has clearly delineated and articulated.

It would go into some detail the steps in repairing flaws or deficiencies, not provide a new interpretation. Further, we might learn new tools for our future work.

So who is interested?

Asher

Tim Armes

Asher Kelman said:
What would be the interest in a pure Retouching forum where problems in photographs would be addressed?

This would be different from the "Challenges in RAW processing: optimize this" where the Title and a RAW file only are shared and the challenge is to process the RAW file with the esthetic of each photographer's choice and comfort .

Retouching would be based on the original artists current goal of achieving a particular endpoint or goal which (s)he has clearly delineated and articulated.

It would go into some detail the steps in repairing flaws or deficiencies, not provide a new interpretation. Further, we might learn new tools for our future work.
Asher
Hi Asher,

I think that you've hit the nail on the head here. The distinction that you make between the RAW processing and retouching aims is extremely pertinant.

The RAW workflow forum, is best placed to handle to issues related to the interpretation of a photo. It's the perfect place to discuss possible personal interpretations of an image and the techniques required to acheive the desired overall look of an image.

Retouching takes off after these decisions have been made. A retouching forum should aim to provide photographers with the techniques required to achieve their "pixel level" post processing goals. Such a forum could be a haven for both the post-processing beginner struggling to get started in the digital darkroom and the expert looking for more advanced techniques to add to his or her repertoire. The emphasis should be on individual parts of the image.

Tim

David J. Eves

Old wedding photo .. .. ripped and torn!

Can you fix this? I was asked. Sure that is very simple to achieve and master!

To prove my point, I handed this over to a woman, who has never worked on a computer in her life.

She is/was 49 at the time. I spent less than 3 minutes showing her, this simple process.

I used to do this with brushes on orginal prints! TIME CONSUMING? YES. THIS REQUIRED 8 HOURS work.. for a pure rookie, this is her first attempt!

before.jpg

Zoom in as far as you can, pick the SMALLEST spot to work with, take a color sample from closest area, use brush to fill in area, use smudge tool to smooth results, zoom out to check work, zoom back in to attempt another SMALL area, crack, spot.

After.jpg

The owners were elated, jumping for joy! Thank you so much she said. I DIDN'T DO THAT, was my reply. she did! the two people looked at the woman they knew, and exclaimed.Elizabeth? YOU DID THIS ?? no way! they said.. she smiled really big!

IT WAS MY FIRST TIME. she smiled.! and collected the 120 dollar fee! I let her keep the $$. (wink)

Asher and Tim,
I don't understand the separation between raw developping and retouching.

The life of a photo starts when you shot and end when you judge it ready for monitor or for printer (or for trash, sigh!) .

Where is the lineborder between raw- processiing and post-processing (retouching)?

I think the separation is hystorical and commercial.
Old cameras produced developed jpg image, so retouching process was a post-processing .
More recently high level cameras let you shot in raw and develope at your taste.

Some commercial products are specialized for raw developping, other are specialized for post-processing.

My suggestion is a forum after shot to output in which anyone can submit a shot (raw or jpg or both) and let the game start.