• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Anyone know P-TTL (Pentax)?

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Does anyone know the Pentax P-TTL system? is it as good as ETTL II or I-TTL? or is it more like the original ETTL which was awful, ditto the older nikon TTL system on DSLR's like the Fuji S2?

Is there any information on how it works? How the metering is done, how fill flash is implemented, etc?

Thanks.

Kyle Nagel

Yes, I have the *istD and the new 540FGZ flash that supports P-TTL, it seems to work better than I expected, I have a 500FTZ flash I had used previously(TTL), it was constantly over exposing and blowing out my images if I used it as fill light outdoors in the Aperture priority mode, However the 540FGZ seems to be able to pull it off quite easily without the problem and it is also better indoors than the 500FTZ. I have the old AF280t, the AF330FTZ, AF500FTZ, and the new AF540FGZ, and the 540 smokes them all, can't wait to try it on the new 10mp body.

Kyle

Wojtek Kutyla

Does anyone know the Pentax P-TTL system? is it as good as ETTL II or I-TTL? or is it more like the original ETTL which was awful, ditto the older nikon TTL system on DSLR's like the Fuji S2?
Thanks.

Well, I remember using P-TTL from AF360FGZ with MZ-S and I haven't noticed any problems; effects were outstanding. I was much more satisfied than now, when I use Minolta's ADI (my personal feeling is that ADI's not so "intelligent" somehow).

I think there is some information about how P-TTL works here: http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/P-TTL_Vs_TTL.html

Enjoy :)

Cheers
Wojtek