• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mine is bigger than yours!

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
What is the longest lens that a forum member shoots with?

I sold my Canon EF 400MM f5.6L. Now the longest lens I use is a EF 300MM f2.8 L IS with a 2X TC.

Please post yours!

Erie Patsellis

pro member
I have a 21 1/4" lens I use on 16x20 and 20x24, does that count? If not then it would be my 500mm Tamron SP mirror, quite good surprisingly.

Rachel Foster

For some strange reason, Sigmund Freud has been on my mind. Oh, I know why! I just did a lecture on him and psychoanalysis in my history of psych class last week. That must be it.

(P.S. A touch of humor is ok, innit?)

Jim Galli

Ok, this probably doesn't count since it's at work and I don't actually own it, but I routinely shoot with a 2975mm mirror. On an 18X24mm sensor you cannot fit the entire moon in a frame, only a portion. Oh, and I can make 360 pictures every second. On film. :~'))

Jack_Flesher

I can mount a Leica spotting scope to my P&S. The combined focal lengths calc out to about a 5500mm equivalent. Of course if you had added the caveats "while maintaining good image quality" and/or "full frame" then maybe not :)

Bob Latham

What is the longest lens that a forum member shoots with?

I sold my Canon EF 400MM f5.6L. Now the longest lens I use is a EF 300MM f2.8 L IS with a 2X TC.

Please post yours!
The 300/2.8 with T/C is a surprisingly good substitute for the 600/4. I've now got both options and find the portability of the 300/T/C setup makes it excellent value for money. Of course, the 600/4 can also have a T/C and this pushes it into the distance.

Bob

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
The 300/2.8 with T/C is a surprisingly good substitute for the 600/4. I've now got both options and find the portability of the 300/T/C setup makes it excellent value for money. Of course, the 600/4 can also have a T/C and this pushes it into the distance.

Bob

Hi Bob.

With the extra TC added more IS is needed so I am waiting for the 200 F2.0 IS price to drop another 1K so I can use stacked TC's and have the extra 4 stops from the IS.

Jack_Flesher

Just for thread posterity -- in this configuration, it's about 2250mm f11 effective -- and image quality is pretty decent:

leicascopeg1setup.jpg

Last edited:

Jack_Flesher

This was a quick grab from my driveway to show relative scale and IQ for you. First image is the full-frame scene shot with the G1 and kit lens at 25mm (normal or 50mm effective) focal:

sceneat25mmg1.jpg

And here, full-frame from the same shooting position with the Televid rig shown above aimed at the ridiculous plumbing:

leicascopefull.jpg

Jack_Flesher

Thanks Jack!

Could you please post a 1 to 1 crop?

Sure, but you're gonna see all the nasty's ;-) First off there was some minor camera movement due to the relatively slow shutter speed and less stable tripod with such a long focal. Second, you can see the residual flare in this optical system. The noise is ISO noise from the G1...

leicascopecrop.jpg

Mike Shimwell

I have a Maksutoc Cassegrain telescope that I can mount to my eos bodies with a T-mount adaptor. 1800mm f12 and the moon close to fills the frame. I shot some nice moon images during the full lunar eclipse a couple of years ago - search through my flickr stuff (can't access through the work firewall). I keep meaning to lug it and the tripod out to shoot the local deer, but haven't found the combination of time and motivation yet:)

In reality, I don't shoot much long stuff at the moment. My longest everyday lens is the 100 macro or 24-105. But I occasionally use the 70-200 f4 or 70-300 DO (which I remain in confusion about really - the main advantage being portability for such a long lens.)

Jim, what do you do that uses a long mirror lens to shoot 360fps on film?

Mike

PS - to keep Rachel happy the biggest prblem is that it's folded up...