• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1st of May in Bavaria

Jarmo Juntunen

That's very interesting, Michael. Our Swedish speaking minority has a similar thing during the Midsummer celebration. Your picture reminded me immediately about that.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just two impressions...

Best regards,
Michael

Well, Michael,

Great catch! You lined up the pole with the sun and so made it glow. That's an effect that adds energy to this otherwise simple image. That's a very tall pole! I'm happy to see this ancient Germanic tradition is still celebrated somewhere! Your picture is very significant to me. This is the first time in many years that I've even seen a Maypole! :)

This is a strong English tradition too, except in during the periods when strict Protestant kings/governors viewed it as Pagan and banned it! It became something of a defiant symbol and eventually almost the branding of the concept of , "Merry England"!

and it was for dancing...............amazing scenes of spirited happy people in villages and towns all over England!

We had one, each year, in London in our primary school. The ribbons came down and we'd grab one and dance round in a circle of singing happy little kid............boys one way and girls the other, until we met close to hte pool in the center and were pressed together laughing and giggling! We said we were "gay" **and that was the meaning, happy, floating on air with a delightful sense of presence and abandon!

Asher

** Over the years, that word "gay" transitioned from its meaning universal, for all of us of "being in happy spirits". Words do that, migrate and change their identity with usage. Humor and spirits are also words that morphed, but not so stunningly fast!