• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Traveling with your gear?

Brian Lowe

Can some of you please help me out and tell me how you are traveling with your gear these days?

I usually take all my gear on board the plane with me in a think tank airport security bag but, it's becoming more and more a pain if the gluteus maximaus to do so especially on international flights because of the weight restrictions.

I will be leaving in a few days for the country of Panama for 7 days and I plan to bring my 600mm f/4 L with me (all of my gear and glass is insured).

What I would like to know:

What do you do when you absolutely have to check your Glass or gear?

Are you packing it up in pelican cases or how do you pack your gear when you have to check it?

Any advice and comments are welcomed.

Off to Panama,
Brian

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
No 600 for me

Maybe for me the purposes of travel are different. I only take three lenses max - a 24-105 or 24-70; the 50L 1.2 and the 70-200 and a laptop - all which pass the carry on rules (except in England where you can only carry 13lbs on board - my purse weighs more than that!). With so many bags lost, no way - even insured - would I check any gear. If I were to need more than that, I would FedEx it ahead but then not to any underprivledged country where the 600 lense would feed a family of four for a year.

Andrew Gough

Hi Brian,

I travel with a large wheeled Pelican case that holds my Tripod and cloths etc... I carry everything else on in a back pack and a Pelican 1590 wheeled case. The gear is usually split between the two to bring down the weight of each case. I try to only travel on Airlines that are a little bit more liberal with there carry on limits - No US carriers, and less low cost airlines. I was once asked to weigh my backpack, holding it upright it only showed 6kg, when in fact it was well over 15kg, if you get my drift ;)

If I am asked to check a bag, then I can pack the pelican and lock it. I would not check a bag when flying through the US, as I am sure that the equipment would disappear due to the requirement to use security locks. Fedex or UPS in a pelican might be your best bet there, have it delivered after you arrive at your hotel.