• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Window view! Don Lashiers Pacific Ocean View, What do you have outside?

Don Lashier

How about a shot =out= my living room window? This was taken yesterday - the west coast's first wave power generator (40kw). It's the yellow thing at the right, two miles offshore almost directly in front of our home, deployed Saturday. Not a terribly good day to test wave power btw.

wavegen.jpg

- DL

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Window Views are interesting! So what do each of us have look out on?

Don,

What a great new topic. This might also be more comfortable for those worried about disclosing the inside of their home on the internet. There is little worry with modern technology that anyone could get away with stealing the Pacific Ocean!

That water is so blue. Are you using a polarizing filter or was this film?

The larger vessel seems to be tied to a white buoy or anchor? The motor vessel in the foreground seems to be about 35ft long. Is it part of the crew involved with the wave generator or just happy motor yacht owners!

Tell us about these floating yellow generators. What's their purpose and how are they powered?

I hope we get other equally fascanating window views!

Asher

Don Lashier

Hi Asher,

> That water is so blue. Are you using a polarizing filter or was this film?

Digital. The key here was that this was before noon, histo was very flat and only adjustment was levels end-points in C1 (V4 btw).

> The larger vessel seems to be tied to a white buoy or anchor? The motor vessel in the foreground seems to be about 35ft long. Is it part of the crew involved with the wave generator or just happy motor yacht owners!

The larger vessel is an Oregon State University Vessel, presumable a former Corps of Engineers buoy tender. It is in fact tethered directly to the power buoy itself, the cable is barely visible in this photo at this resolution but more apparent in others I took.

The vessel in the foreground is a tourist whale watching boat. Note that I may have had such luck as to catch a whale spouting in the backround. I'll have to examine adjacent photos to see if this is so or just a small pleasure boat in the distance. It's a bit far out for a whale unless migrating. Nearer in near the buoy is common feeding ground for grey whales.

> Tell us about these floating yellow generators. What's their purpose and how are they powered?

This unit is 75 feet tall with only 10 feet extending above the surface. It uses a hydraulic pump to generate electricity. OSU will also be testing a direct drive unit in a month or two.

Here's the story in our local newspaper including a photo of the buoy on dry land. Note the articulated lowboy it was hauled in on. These have a second driver laying prone in a cockpit under the rear set of wheels to steer them separately from the front wheels - otherwise they'd never be able to negotiate the curves on the roads to the coast.

- DL

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Don

Must be a very nice view!
In my case, I prefer the view from the balcony.

foolmoon.jpg

It's blue too, but taken at fullmoon; therefore a mix of 3 diff. exposures.

Ivan Garcia

Not quite the view from my living room.
Still, this is the view that greeted me every day, from my hotel room in Thailand.

IGD_7087.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hey this thread is a good companion to my " Living room shoot out"
These shots are from earlier this morning. We saw dolphins out in the bay & I felt inspired to grab my camera & grab some shots of the view being such a gorgeous Spring day.
Hopefully these photos wont cause any cross mojinization with my other post.

View%201.jpg

view2.jpg

Marian Howell

my house began life as a summer home, so we have a bathroom accessible to the outside. this is a sunrise from my bathroom porch...fyi, not my dock!
original.jpg

Don Lashier

Hi Don
In my case, I prefer the view from the balcony.

Hi Michael,

Love that shot. The rooftop view represents the same to me as the ocean - escape from, rising above, freedom from, the mass of humanity that lies below or behind. I'm a country boy at heart and need to not be crowded on at least one side ("Don't fence me in"), so I've spent a good part of my life living either on the ocean (25 years), in the middle of nowhere (4 years three hours from nearest phone, electricity, running water etc), or at least "up" where I can see out. Being able to see at least 30 miles when looking out the window is a pre-requisite, if that 30 miles is unpopulated that's a bonus.

- DL

Marian Howell

thanks jan! summer is my favorite season because the bathroom door stays open most of the time :) the true sign of winter approaching is the closing of the bathroom door during the day LOL !!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Wow

Between the East Coast and the West Coast (Mass and Oregon Coasts!) , those are just two locations to have as your backyard view. The light that far north is amazing alone. Paul, down under in Hobart seems to have it pretty good too. We have friends with a home just off the water and with a view of the San Juan Islands in Washington State. The view is breathtaking. I would love to live in a home like that. The only traffic they have is boat traffic (lol) and marine life traffic in the waters.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Michael,

Love that shot. The rooftop view represents the same to me as the ocean - escape from, rising above, freedom from, the mass of humanity that lies below or behind. I'm a country boy at heart and need to not be crowded on at least one side ("Don't fence me in"), so I've spent a good part of my life living either on the ocean (25 years), in the middle of nowhere (4 years three hours from nearest phone, electricity, running water etc), or at least "up" where I can see out. Being able to see at least 30 miles when looking out the window is a pre-requisite, if that 30 miles is unpopulated that's a bonus. - DL

Don,

you' re right; as a mountain boy, I'm definatly a ibex. Plus capricorne - which is a synonym for ibex - at the signs too ;-)

BTW: The bottom roof is from my studio; 1 min to get home.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Here are my Sunday's snap takes…
From our appartment under the roof top, very close to the historic center of Bordeaux.

Looking South:

_G8A0549.jpg

Looking North-West:

_G8A0551.jpg

On the right the Musée d'Aquitaine.
On the back ground the Tour Pey Berland beside the Saint-André Cathedral where Alienor d'Aquitaine got married with the future King Louis VII on July 25, 1137 (she will be married later with Henri II King of England, but at that time I was not a wedding photog! (nor now BTW)

nicolas claris

Another challenge now, still the view from your living room, but at night!

Here almost the same as first one I have posted, some hours later…

_G8A0554.jpg

Curiously there's some banding in the sky that appears when downsizing the image… never happened to me before…

nicolas claris

In fact the banding is seen (in the left dark part of the sky) on my Powerbook (old G4) and not on the Nec monitor I have in the office…

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

I see diagonal banding, slightly, if I scroll , but it could be clouds. I see Venus, so I guess it is South.

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

I see diagonal banding, slightly, if I scroll , but it could be clouds. I see Venus, so I guess it is South.

Best wishes,

Ray

Bonjour Ray
what you see is not cloud, I wonder how/why this banding appear… I'll have to dig…

Yes it is the nice Venus, it is almost the same angle (same window!) as the first day pic I posted just above. So yes, well guess, this is South!

Have a nice day

Don Lashier

Bonjour Nicolas,

The view out your living room certainly meets my requirements!

I see no banding on any my three computers/monitors.

- DL

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Don

thanks for the feed-back, we're all talking about the night view, right?

BTW I'd love you to shoot a picture of the ocean at night, with slow shutter, whe there are boat cruising, it can be nice… I have some but not from my living room, so… I won't post 'em here!

Greg Rogers

Ok, you got the newbie to bite. :)

This is my first ever image post to any forum or anything else so I hope I don't mess it up and followed the rules.

Nothing compared to some of the wonderful shots preceding.....yet this was my view out my sliding glass door at sunrise last December. (yes, Indiana, USA and no snow!)

GC_Rogers_backyard-for-web.jpg

Thanks for allowing me to post. Feel free to let me know if I violated any size regs, named correctly, etc. Or if it just didn't WORK!
-Greg

Asher Kelman

Greg,

Your picture is wonderful, although it could be almost twice as large to see the details onm the foreground rocks and appreciate the spread of color in the sky.

Congrats,

Asher

Asher Kelman

Greg,

I'm really liking this view! There's such a lot of interesting parts to the picture: the water bearing the relfections of the sun and sky through the fine branch structure of the lines of trees and then the space in the foreground with the isolated rocks, then we go back and visit the sky again and down to the far river bank, yes there are boats and behind that, houses.

So I can imagine in each of the pictures in this thread, a solid work goal of taking the piuctures with different light and different cloud cover or not or perhpas when there's rain or even snow, if it ever happens!

So let's keep this thread going, and each person retake pictures as conditions change! That's the Monet way!

Asher

Greg Rogers

Thank you Asher and Marion for the positive feedback on my first post.

Now that I have the first picture-post apprehensiveness out of the way, and Asher asked, I may post another looking west, taken a few weeks later, with snow (more akin to winter in Indiana!)

There are breathtaking photos in this thread, I'm flattered to be a part of it as a humble born-again beginner. (oh why did I ever lay off for 30 yrs?)

-Greg

City living room view

I'd love to have the kind of unblemished nature that Don and Greg are showing within a few steps of my door, but we seem to locate closer to resources like takeout pizza and Indian restaurants. However, my current neighborhood, midscale Brookline MA, is proudly displaying its view of the world in a way I find interesting. Here are the next-door neighboors, with carefully weeded lawns and garden, and

82187339.jpg

Can we see some other neighborhood shots? My e-friend Guy Mancuso, who publishes his stuff on the Leica user forum, is unashamed to show his Phoenix AZ neighborhood when he is out lens-testing and the results are just as interesting as a self-portrait thread.

scott

Asher Kelman

Looks like Beverly Glen in Los Angeles, except the chances of "Old Glory" flying next door is as high as GB pronouncing "Constantinople!" on the first ten attempts.

So any more views from your window?

Asher