• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Any chemists around here?

We had a little accident tonight...

A brand new pan was left empty on a brand new (installed last night and very expensive) induction cooktop while the cell was set to a max power... :-(

Yeah, I know. "Don't". Well, it wasn't me. But I paid for it..

Well, it didn't melt down completely, but "just partially" was enough... :-(

No, no, the house is still intact.

The pan is totalled, but that was a matter of $20, **** happens.

What bugs me the most is that the melted paint/metal left some hard ugly looking residue on the otherwsie shiny glass surface of the cooktop. Our initial attempts to get rid of it lead to no success.

Anybody has any idea of how to clean a sturdy glass surface from a melted paint/metal?
It seems that the metal was steel, not cast iron.

Acid? Heat? Cold?

Any practical hint is appreciated!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Induction Stove!

Nikolai - those stoves are fantastic! I've used them in cooking classes. Whoo Hoo - as good as a new piece of Profoto light gear. Congratulations. BTW - they are best used with solid stainless steel pans - there are actually special pans for those stoves where the bottoms are quite heavy and they are stainless steel. No Paint on the pans.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
a brand new (installed last night and very expensive) induction cooktop while the cell was set to a max power... :-(
Hi Nokolaï
glad ou solved your problem, but I guess your cooktop was not expensive enough! ours automaticaly stops heating if there's nothing in the pan or dish…
Yes it does work much better with (expensive too!) special bottomed pans and dishes (yes, heavy they are!)

PS I like very much the idea to post such question in a photography forum! but after all, this is an "open" forum…
Asher, there's an idea here, why don't we create a "sidewalk" forum for all other "tech" questions that we would not talk in a café?

Nikolai - those stoves are fantastic! I've used them in cooking classes. Whoo Hoo - as good as a new piece of Profoto light gear. Congratulations. BTW - they are best used with solid stainless steel pans - there are actually special pans for those stoves where the bottoms are quite heavy and they are stainless steel. No Paint on the pans.
Thanks, Kathy!

I think we will upgrade out cookware eventually. :)

Hi Nokolaï
glad ou solved your problem, but I guess your cooktop was not expensive enough! ours automaticaly stops heating if there's nothing in the pan or dish…
Yes it does work much better with (expensive too!) special bottomed pans and dishes (yes, heavy they are!)
Bonjour Nicolas!
Funny, I thought it would switch off, too! I remember reading something about it, and this being one of the top models you'd think it will come with this safety feature...
But I already found that the advertising was misleading in several ways to say the least, so I guess I have to pay a closer attention... not that it was me who didn't this time :)
Salue!