• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

another interesting photoshop creation

Brandon Jones

Hey yall! as you probably can tell from my posts that i have already posted, im not much of the photographer as i am a photoshopper. this creation is something i really enjoy, i took a picture of my hand and arm and took it and placed it in photoshop, when i did this my mind began churning, i had a picture of fire that i had created with photoshop earlyier in my life and i decided to incorporate it into my arm picture. so i then took a texture andplaced it over the image of the hand and Volia! you get what is below. C and C always welcome.

HandouttaFire.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Brandon this is very simple and imaginative!

This combination is not entirely new to us so we expect that the particular meaning this conveys will be unique to be worthwhile. The image gets attention immediately and we are obligated to look to find out "What on earth this is all about?" as there's a human hand in the midst of a fire. So what then? This "So what, then?" is a tool that must be applied to all our work. Is this unique, interesting, compelling, worth returning to, something to make me think or change my opinion or just entertain?

You have attained some good understanding of the potential of Photoshop. I like very much the concept. what's missing, again, as in your previous fascinating stylized image of an eye is what it means to you now that you have delivered it for us to react to.

I'm interested in something I call an "Arc of Intent". I postulate that it's likely important in creation in all art that one one works to associates and or embeds in a physical medium ideas and emotions such that the work attains some life of its own with an identity. Now when someone else experiences that work, families of reactions will occur and as a result, emotions, feelings thoughts and even consequent action will be elicited.

So what you think about this photoshop blending of two of you images is so important to me. After all, that's where the arc of intent must start!

Here you have, after all, used two very easy to recognize objects which have myriads of cultural and inherent meanings for us. A title at least, narrows down for us the kinds of meanings that should, in the beginning at least be excluded. It allows us to tune our reactions in the context of your wishes.

OTOH, if you recognize no feelings or meanings to you, then so be it. We struggle to find meaning on our own, without your guidance.

So I'll take the image as it is. A hand either emerging from the fire: a Phoenix rebirth, "overcoming adversity" or "a hand consumed" and the image is of a horrible end of a persons life.

In either case angles and pose of the hand don't add the expected power or clues to either possible meanings. Rather the hand is merely passive. I understand that you just put together previous photographs. But here's where you can really be creative.

Allow the developing idea to talk to you. Creativity is iterative. Remember, a work of art must have life blown in it's nostrils by the artist! So go back and re-photograph your arm to match the ideas that are developing in your brain. do the extra work and you will get paid back in satisfaction as your work rises to a new level of expression. A fist would be defiant, an outstretched hand shows pain or pleading or the question "Why?". Maybe my suggestions are not pertinent to your art. So be it. Your own opinion is all that really matters. However, I feel that you will be happier with further work.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Even though this is posted in "Layback Café I'm taking this picture beyond the casual "mess-around" in PS since we all can get to an early stage of valuable work but can it be delivered as a work of art with worth? So I considered this seriously. That itself can be sufficiently amusing or hopefully give inspiration to take such projects to a new level where one not merely exploits accidents but also purposely embeds one's own wishes!.

Brandon Jones

wow... Thanks asher!!! i really apreciate your taking about what i estimate at least 10 minuites to respond with more then i would have ever thought anyone would have! thanks!

now in responce to your asking what does my art mean to me... well im not really sure truthfully, i enjoy creating images that i think "look" cool, the idea of a burning hand raising out of fire, i guess it means to me that i am a person that likes to learn from my mistakes, how is this shown in this peice of art, well it shows to me that a person is dying, although you don't see the entire person you see the hand coming out of the fire, meaning to me at least that part of you can be raised out of the ashes, and can over come obsticles, in this case the person is coming out of the fire is trying to escape... i think this is what i am trying to portray from this peice of art. Thanks soooo much for all of your advice... i will use it. my title is Hand out of fire.