• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Earth From Below" - Stephen Alvarez video.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I thought I had already posted this. Guess I didn't.

This is an wonderful video from photographer Stephen Alvarez, showing some of his work within this incredibly massive cave system.
Beautiful!

"Earth From Below"
Michael,

I, for one, had not seen such beautiful work of the underground world of caves. Especially since it's hardly accessible to us, the pictures are so valuable as how else could we enjoy the work? I hope he does well in his book projects. He is so talented!

This is what I wrote:

Asher Kelman said:
Stephen,

Your joy and excitement that wasn't yelled out in the caves far below our feet, now is released and expressed! These ideas have cooked, matured and annealed over all these years but have not lost their original sparkle and wonder.

I like the description of reactions to the scenes that don't appear to use thought, but seem reflex. Yes, it's very quick but still the scene has been processed in comparison to wired circuits of all the shapes and patterns you have ever seen, all the experiences you have gone through and even some that are written in your genes.

So reactions to fire and threats like wild animals are reflex derived from our nature but all the other references are built in so efficiently that reaction is close to instant too. Most of our thinking is not accessible to us or we'd get sensory overload. It's processed and filtered in the background every second of the day.

Still there is a big lesson your work teaches, that of walking past treasures within our reach!

Your pictures enrich us. I just hope it does not lead to spoiling the caves!

I'll try to find his books! I hope they are printed well but affordable!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
It redefines "Extreme Photography"

Michael,
Thank you for sharing this. What an extraordinary video! Absolutely breathtaking!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Fascinating!

I'd love to shoot that with the Sinar HY6! or even with the arTec!

Can you imagine 2 shots with arTect and 23mm stitched!!!!

The music is a bit too much loud when he speaks…

Look, a kind of Alvarez making-of here

Larry Brown

Being some what new to the forum I have been doing some delving this morning into more of the sections of OPF and came upon this post as it's title drew me in as I am a long time caver myself with some experience in cave photography. I am familiar with some of Stephen's work although I have never met him but hope to one day. His work is just fantastic considering what preparation that must take place to make his images when working in some of the most hostile environments in or on our planet. Add a completely light-less environment where the only light is what you bring in you may understand some potential problems and add to the physical requirements and planning involved.
I cave in the region that he is from and is known as "TAG" an acronym for Tennessee,Alabama and Georgia which is one of the largest karst areas in the USA and the world with a cave density of over 14,000 known caves in this region alone. Many of his images are from TAG and some of which I have visited over the years and many I would like to.
I will be attending a caving event next month very near his home in Suwanee Tennessee and maybe he will attend and I might get a chance to meet if he does.

But for those that are interested here is another TAG caver that does photography that is quite pleasing for me. He is quite active in the region and has had some national exposure in the last few years having his images being published in many of our caving publications and elsewhere. His name is Nathan Williams and he has developed his own style and technique used. Here is a link to his webpage, enjoy!

http://www.realmsofreality.net/

Here is his Flickr page....

http://www.flickr.com/people/realms_of_reality/

And here is a recent National Geograpic acticle(some may have seen or read) on caving in the TAG region...

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/06/tag-caves/jenkins-text

Larry