Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Layback Cafe

Layback Cafe Let's chat!

Old September 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default 20D, 40D and the 5D shootout!

Michael Reichman at Luminous Landscape had a quick test of the 40D and was impressed that the Image Quality (IQ) approached that of the 5D! This was followed by disbelief in a certain user forum.

MR points to this new side by side test at Wyofoto.com by Miles Hecker, a long time photographer and teacher. What do you think?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Even though I love the 5D, I never really had too much reason to not think they would be close this go round. The 5D is now 2 years old and I would have just assumed that Canon would upgrade the 40D to close to that technology, esp. ISO wise. I still prefer the 5D for the simple fact that it is FF. For those that that isn't a factor--then they would probably be wise to look closely at a 40D if they are ready to do an upgrade.

Diane
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I like the idea of the 40D for taking pics of animals where I want the extra reach and not to have to spend a lot more on lenses. I sold my 300 2.8 L but with my 70-200 2.8L the reach is not there with my 5D. The 1DII is better at x1.2 but the 40D at 1.6 really adds!

Asher

Off topic: I would love the 500 f4 and be done with it, but that's a lot of money! Still the pictures by John Harper at the Wildlife Heritage Foundation in the U.K. have got me thinking!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Off topic: I would love the 500 f4 and be done with it, but that's a lot of money! Still the pictures by John Harper at the Wildlife Heritage Foundation in the U.K. have got me thinking!
Yes they are beautiful!

What about this one too :

[EDIT] Hoops! sorry this was shot with a 1DsMk2[/EDIT]
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Hi Asher,

Quote:
side by side test at Wyofoto.com by Miles Hecker, a long time photographer and teacher. What do you think?
Personally, I feel it would have been fairer to have kept the 5d at the same distance. I expect the 40d would have wiped the floor with it, wrt resolution/image sharpness. the 20/30d had the highest pixel density, (and all that implies) iirc, now that is beaten.

Best wishes,

Ray
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Default When will the next FF come out?

I think that the 30d-5d-IId are the past generation
the 40-M3D and the next generation (6d?) will all have basis to compare
Comparing the 5d with the 40d are apples and oranges.