Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Layback Cafe

Layback Cafe Let's chat!

Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM

Default 2009 International Color Awards

The third annual International Color Awards were announced today (Sunday, March 22, 2009) in the usual unique 2+ hour "online gala" manner. In case you've never heard of this annual competition, it's an enormous, very international photo contest spanning 13 categories (most are sorted between amateurs and professionals) plus one category for "Photographer of the Year". The panel of judges for this competition gets more and more imposing each year.

While the 2009 awards pages are online I highly recommend carving out an hour to peruse the "nominees" (i.e. the finalists) and winners in each category. You will see some absolutely jaw-dropping images sure to give you inspiration.

Bon appetite!

p.s. Yes indeed, I was lucky enough to be among the nominees for the second year, in the Photojournalism category with "Iron Workers". But it's a trifle in a sea of wonderful imagery.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Ken,

You Ironworker's image is very much worth posting here! We'd love to celebrate it here!

We're proud!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM

Thank you Asher. This is the image.

By the way, despite having more camera gear than I'd be comfortably admitting, I shot this image with my 'umble Canon Powershot G9. The camera you have is always better than the camera at home.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Tanaka;72721]

Top stuff Ken.
Great effort to be amongst the nominees.
I had two entries in ( my first attempt, hopefully not my last) and didn't make the nominees.
I have to admit to feeling a tad disappointed with the winner of the nature category. Sour grapes to be sure but it was the one and only weak image out of the nominees from my perspective.

But we all know the vaguaries of these things and I'm sure the image looks great in the flesh.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM

Ken,

I had had a really quick look at the nominees and a few winners this morning before flying out the door.

I hadn't seen the photojournalism category.

Talk about picking a tough field.
That was a really hot category so fantastic effort to be selected.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM

Great stuff Ken and congrats on your nomination. I had seen your image on your website and knew then that it was a special one. You are absolutely right in that there is a ton of inspiration to be gathered from the work in this contest.
James Newman
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:58 AM

Ken

First of all Congraulations! You must be very pleased-your picture is very creative- I loved the prespective of it-art indeed!

I did look at the site most of it-beautful inspiring work!
I of course was most drawn to "portraits"
these were my choices and I have saved the work of each artist to study

Lucie (Root Ginger)
Jenny Wicks-uk

Leyla
Jim Newberry-us
I loved the white out skin with tinge of blue-

Ryan Adama
Pier Nicola D' Amico-us
seems to be working with overlay on this one and I lovelove that!

Kapsastega-Vannis tv001-03
Tiit Veermae-estonia

Amaris
Sue Kellog-us

Klara
ulrika Malim-sweden
for the ps work!

well I could go on of course but I have noted all most all of them-
thank you so very much for posting this thread

Charlotte-
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM

congrats, Ken, I like your image.

I went through some of the images/categories and am disappointed; no offence Ken, but a competition with the name "masters of color photography" should go more in depth than judging 1024 pix-images.

The jury doesn't looks to have any photographers, but a lot of managers and directors. I'm not sure if that competition is just creating money in the pocket of the organiser.
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fontana View Post
congrats, Ken, I like your image.

I went through some of the images/categories and am disappointed; no offence Ken, but a competition with the name "masters of color photography" should go more in depth than judging 1024 pix-images.

The jury doesn't looks to have any photographers, but a lot of managers and directors. I'm not sure if that competition is just creating money in the pocket of the organiser.
Thank you Michael.

Actually, the jury was the principal attraction to me. I don't want to see photographers on a jury. I would much rather see editors, gallerists, curators, and other arts and publication people on a jury. Photographers tend to have very limited perspectives on art and photography. I would much rather have the diverse panel of judges that the ICA assembles.