• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gossen Luna Pro SBC -Zone scale

David Lyon

Has anyone found the zone scale on this meter to be helpful? If so, please help me understand how to use it and how it's most helpful.
Thanks,
Aidan

Doug Kerr

Has anyone found the zone scale on this meter to be helpful? If so, please help me understand how to use it and how it's most helpful.
Thanks,
Aidan

Well, are you Aidan or David?

It might be nice to tell us a little about you.

Tell me what you mean by "zone scale".

Thanks.

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
@ David/Aidan,

Cleantalk.org reports your IP address in its database:

Test my IP 201.198.209.42 Delete from blacklists
141.0.9.61 has spam activity on 3 websites.
Blacklisted 2012-11-01. Last seen 2014-06-06 21:10:38.

All addresses from AS39832 (Opera Software ASA)US

Can you explain what's going on? With a satisfactory explanation, I'll put a note to remind me not to bug you.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

It may be worse than that! This same post was made on APUG forums, today. What's puzzling is that the words, "Gossen Luna Pro" do not appear in the actual text in the dialog box when one quotes the message, or if one has access, inspects the contents using the "Edit" command of vBulletin.

However, if one copies the words from the post, one get's "default Luna Pro".

Anyone have an idea of how the text is inserted but gets to be "cloaked" when one tried to look at the text?

I don't understand. The text "Gossen Luna Pro" does not appear in the original message as displayed on my browser. They are part of the thread title, however.

What am I missing here?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

Just started correcting my error! The text is just the format of this version of the forum. I hadn't realized that. Still, there are remaining clarifications needed.

Asher

Doug Kerr

I've been having a bad dream. I'm gonna try and wake up now.

And my Gossen Luna Pro SBC meter is gone from its drawer.

Wait - I never had a Gossen Luna Pro SBC meter.

Best regards,

Doug

David Lyon

Please forgive me for creating any transgressions in protocol. I was simply asking if anyone could help me understand how to use the Zone scale on the Gossen Luna Pro SBC light meter. Apparently there is some concern that I am spamming or engaging in other other egregious behavior. I am simply a beginning photographic enthusiast who is looking for help. Yes I have posted the same question on other sites-I was unaware that was improper manners. Please forgive me. Regarding the vfemail account -yes it is sometimes problematic as some sites consider it a potential spamming source. But I am not.
Thanks for any constructive support or guidance.
David

Doug Kerr

Hi, David,

Please forgive me for creating any transgressions in protocol. I was simply asking if anyone could help me understand how to use the Zone scale on the Gossen Luna Pro SBC light meter. Apparently there is some concern that I am spamming or engaging in other other egregious behavior. I am simply a beginning photographic enthusiast who is looking for help. Yes I have posted the same question on other sites-I was unaware that was improper manners. Please forgive me. Regarding the vfemail account -yes it is sometimes problematic as some sites consider it a potential spamming source. But I am not.
Thanks for any constructive support or guidance.

Well, things happen. We just have to be very vigilant! Welcome aboard.

In any case, I looked more into this matter than was probably warranted.

You can see my findings in this separate thread:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18478

Hopefully this will help you understand what this matter is all about.

May we assume that the Gossen Luna-Pro SBC you have is like this:

gossen_lunaprosbc.gif

I ask because there is a meter with that name that does not have the zone scale (perhaps an earlier vintage):

Gossen_Luna-Pro_SBC-1_face.gif

and of course that threw me off the track for a while!

Best regards,

Doug

David Lyon

Yes the meter I have has the I-X Zone scale on the bottom as pictured.
I sincerely appreciate your diligence in providing the explanation for effective use of the scale-
Thanks,
David

Asher Kelman

Please forgive me for creating any transgressions in protocol.

Thanks for tolerating our fastidiousness in keeping this forum free of spammers. Most registrations are flaky and search of the IP addresses often show they are BOTS or spammers with well-documented attacks of every sort. Mostly I make no errors and the time spent means almost everyone here has a devotion to photography as their primary interest here.

As you can see, your enquiry still initiated a detailed review of technical aspects of the meter and its application to the Zone system. Let us know if we have addressed any of your concerns.

Again a full welcome to OPF!

Asher

David Lyon

Gossen Luna Pro SBC Zone scale resolved

Thank's so much for the diligent effort to resolve my question on the use and benefit of the zone scale. I can now use it with authority!
Thanks,
David

Doug Kerr

Hi, David,

I personally have no experience in using the Zone System for exposure planning, but a lot of words have been written about that by others.

I do find valuable this simple practical example presented by the author(s) of the Wikipedia article on Zone System. It specifically pertains to negative film technique. (I have embedded a comment in blue, keyed to a passage I have highlighted in red.)

With negative film, exposure often favors shadow detail; the procedure then is to

1. Visualize the darkest area of the subject in which detail is required, and place it on Zone III. The exposure for Zone III is important, because if the exposure is insufficient, the image may not have satisfactory shadow detail. If the shadow detail is not recorded at the time of exposure, nothing can be done to add it later.

2. Carefully meter the area visualized as Zone III and note the meter’s recommended exposure (the meter gives a Zone V exposure). [Well, maybe.]

3. Adjust the recommended exposure so that the area is placed on Zone III rather than Zone V. To do this, use an exposure two stops less than the meter’s recommendation.​

I think this approach well relates to what the manufacturers of the Gossen Luna Pro meters with a "zone scale" have in mind.

I do not mean to suggest that the procedure in the passage are is for use with digital cameras. Again, there are many words written about that (to which I have paid little attention). Others here may have considerable experience in this regard, and may wish to share their outlooks.

Best regards,

Doug