• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shooting dishes prepared by Michelin starred chef with a Pentax 645D - Session 2

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
A short while ago, we shot for the second time food images for the Saint-James’ (Bouliac) starred chef Nicolas Magie and his pastry partner Sebastien Bertin …
(first shoot was shown here).

A work with the 645 D for which the 55mm, stabilized 90mm, 90-160mm and 300 mm lens were used.
ƒ14 and ISO 200 were de rigueur (with some exceptions).

No faking in post-production, no superposition but stifling heat: 30°c (86° Fahrenheit) under the shade! Sometimes one has to work fast …

You can see more and comment there

_NCL3029_1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A short while ago, we shot for the second time food images for the Saint-James’ (Bouliac) starred chef Nicolas Magie and his pastry partner Sebastien Bertin …
(first shoot was shown here).

A work with the 645 D for which the 55mm, stabilized 90mm, 90-160mm and 300 mm lens were used.
ƒ14 and ISO 200 were de rigueur (with some exceptions).

No faking in post-production, no superposition but stifling heat: 30°c (86° Fahrenheit) under the shade! Sometimes one has to work fast …

You can see more and comment there

_NCL3029_1.jpg

Nicolas,

This is a tour e force!

I am so impressed with the originality to move your point of view, crouched down, to be able to get this special effect of a river-like reflection.

This is an excuse to share with us findings as to the purpose and value of the lenses you have cited, especially the image stabilized 90 mm. What couldn't you do here with this one lens?

Asher

Chris Calohan

Interesting that I just read an article about the 645Z and while they found it to be a nice second place finish to the Hassy, they didn't find it to be nearly "overly better" than the D800 at a substantially reduced cash output. Though, as all have pointed out, medium format is pretty hard to beat.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Interesting that I just read an article about the 645Z and while they found it to be a nice second place finish to the Hassy, they didn't find it to be nearly "overly better" than the D800 at a substantially reduced cash output. Though, as all have pointed out, medium format is pretty hard to beat.

Hi Chris
And what you see here is not out of a Z but from a D… : D

Asher Kelman

Chris,

Perhaps you refer to this two part Pentax 645Z review Part I and Part II. The author included the 645D too. If the D800 is close to the 645Z then the Sony A7r must also be in that class too. Moreover, the A7r has stellar 35mm and 55mm AF Zeiss lenses. Still, Pentax has the new stabilized 90mm and that does seem like an exceptional practical advantage.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Michael Reichman is a great photographic workshop and adventure host as well as a particularly insightful and skilled photographer. However, Nicolas earns his bread and butter with his choice of cameras, so that "1 college grade difference" of the MF digital over the D800 must be significant.

BTW, MR, seems to have fallen for the Sony A7r and then there would be little incentive to change for work that is not going to be printed above 1 meter tall. The A7r is rather slow, I'd imagine for shooting boats from a helicopter, whereas the Pentax 645Z has direct optical contact with the moving boat at all times. Under these battle conditions, Pentax wins with immediate availability of more long AF lenses that will work natively and reliably. The Sony A7r would give pristine pictures with the 35mm and 55mm lenses and one would just have to manage with this range if one is to remain with stellar optics.

Still, anyone who succeeded with a Canon 1Ds of any vintage, would do superbly with any of these new cameras!

Asher