Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Art Theory: Idea workshop.

Art Theory: Idea workshop. Warning, not the truth here, just a venture. Examining what makes an image worthy of saving and what it does for us.

Old July 19th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Banned

Default Between art

I'm one of those people who enter a gallery with my eyes open and my hand under my chin, as if I might be mistaken for someone who knows what they are doing.
Beyond the pictures on the wall and the three dimensional figures is a place I'd rather be. While Christine is busily engaging with the concepts and composition, I'm finding 'art' in between, and with some meagre effort, endeavouring to create my own.
This is not to say I know what art is or how to create it but a gallery does seem a likely place to find it and, possibly, create it.
If I were the type to say so, this might be the very essence of art: the bringing together of all the qualities and ideas in one place. The artists work, the casual lookers and the critics, the space in which they share the visions, and little old me with a thought that something is drawing me to do this; something in me that cannot simply be expressed in words but I must record it in my own way so I, too can continue the process.
But I'm not the type, so I won't say it.

_DSF3167 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSF3168 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSF3171 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSF3159 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr
Old July 19th, 2015, 12:27 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Looks like a very inspiring place. I like it when they have a bench in the center of the gallery to allow one to sit and linger, taking it all in! What one is seeing is this and of hours of work and it's so easy to just walk by!

Glad you had fun. You missed the champagne opening then?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 19th, 2015, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Looks like a very inspiring place. I like it when they have a bench in the center of the gallery to allow one to sit and linger, taking it all in! What one is seeing is this and of hours of work and it's so easy to just walk by!

Glad you had fun. You missed the champagne opening then?

Asher
I keep well away from champagne, Asher. The people drinking it give me a headache.
Old November 18th, 2015, 04:48 AM

He, he... depends on the type of champagne, I say.
Old November 18th, 2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Titulescu View Post
He, he... depends on the type of champagne, I say.
Marius,

Your discovery of a thread with the word "Champagne" is beautiful technique and efficient for spam technology. Simple and also gives the forgotten thread a boost! But are you going to share photography

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 19th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
I'm one of those people who enter a gallery with my eyes open and my hand under my chin, as if I might be mistaken for someone who knows what they are doing.
Beyond the pictures on the wall and the three dimensional figures is a place I'd rather be. While Christine is busily engaging with the concepts and composition, I'm finding 'art' in between, and with some meagre effort, endeavouring to create my own.
This is not to say I know what art is or how to create it but a gallery does seem a likely place to find it and, possibly, create it.
If I were the type to say so, this might be the very essence of art: the bringing together of all the qualities and ideas in one place. The artists work, the casual lookers and the critics, the space in which they share the visions, and little old me with a thought that something is drawing me to do this; something in me that cannot simply be expressed in words but I must record it in my own way so I, too can continue the process.
But I'm not the type, so I won't say it.

_DSF3167 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSF3168 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSF3171 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

_DSF3159 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

I do l;ike your pictures, and am appreciative that the "content spammer" who I will fire promptly, cleverly found the word, "Champagne" and so got himself a thread in the WWW to reference back to selling the frothy liquid LOL.

But I do really like the mood and sense of connection and wonder we experience in galleries and even I'm movie theaters when we hare art together. It probably relates to cave-painting times, when we were initiated to a higher rank, and in the candlelight were able to see the horses and antelope moving in the flickering lights or hand held oil soaked torches.

I also do this, even when photography is not allowed as I feel such photography does indeed serve a "higher purpose" and anyway, I tend not to obey such rules.

Asher

Old November 20th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I do l;ike your pictures, and am appreciative that the "content spammer" who I will fire promptly, cleverly found the word, "Champagne" and so got himself a thread in the WWW to reference back to selling the frothy liquid LOL.

Asher
I thought you'd have been alerted by the name. 'Titulescu', really? It sounds like a pasta name, or at least a sauce. He may as well wear a red T-shirt with the words : "I'm named after a pasta dish and just as smart"
Cheers Asher.
I don't click on the links anyway. They are like wet paint signs. I know what to expect.
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:19 AM

Hi, Tom,

Quote:
I thought you'd have been alerted by the name. 'Titulescu', really? It sounds like a pasta name, or at least a sauce. He may as well wear a red T-shirt with the words : "I'm named after a pasta dish and just as smart"
Actually a well-known Romanian surname (that is it Romanian is obvious "by inspection" to one who pays any attention to these things).

But some of us are more easily amused than others.

Best regards,

Doug
Old November 21st, 2015, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Tom,

Actually a well-known Romanian surname (that is it Romanian is obvious "by inspection" to one who pays any attention to these things).

But some of us are more easily amused than others.

Best regards,

Doug
I thought we were on 'non-speaking terms. Dougie. I was given the order not to mention your name in any correspondence.

What's that about?

Is this a one sided vendetta?

xx
Old November 21st, 2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I thought we were on 'non-speaking terms. Dougie. I was given the order not to mention your name in any correspondence.

What's that about?

xx

Tom,

Dictators only need to be in charge, not logical.

The fact is I like the pictures of folk actually interested in something an not just getting lost in iPhones and headphones. There is then some hope in a fraction of the population and that's enough for me!

Give us more.

Asher

Old November 21st, 2015, 09:54 PM

Hi, Tom,

Quote:

What's that about?

Dunno. I wasn't given any orders.

Damned good thing.

Best regards,

Doug