• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

high res images (astronomy)

Ivan Garcia

WOW… I can´t wait for them to upload a modified Lucky cam in to the Hubble space telescope.
The resulting images will be amazing

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Interesting link, it always amazes me to see the images that astronomers can produce today.

I can´t wait for them to upload a modified Lucky cam in to the Hubble space telescope.

Interesting thought that. If Hubble's already above the haze I wonder how much difference it would make? I wonder how much 'space haze' there is!

Ivan Garcia

I don´t know about “Space haze”. But I am sure the new chip (with its reduced electronic noise) and the new software, will make a huge difference.
Question is, why would NASA invest millions of $ in the update, when the Palomar 200inch is producing really good imagines.

Eric Hiss

implications of the newer sensor technology

Just reading through one of the links it states that while the 'lucky' technology of taking very fast exposures and combining the best parts has been around since 1978 at least in idea form, it hasn't been possible until recently when sensors have been developed which can read out the data faster without adding noise.

Looks like these types of sensors will be useful for making high resolution video a reality as well as very fast frame rate cameras or more likely both in the same device.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These pictures are remarkable.

However, something like the same ideas, combining the occaisional good shots in a sequence of blurred images, has been used for sometime in "gating" in medical imaging, where motion artifacts are removed by using ony shots corresponding to the hearts beat sequence.

Similarly, high speed strobes, allows one to observe rotors spinning at high speed for signs of damage!

Here, however, the astronomers have to select the rare images through an irregularly changing layer of atmospheric distortion. This is much harder and a brilliant achievement!

Still, I wonder why no one thought of this before!

Asher