• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Force Majeure

Steven Sinski

_D4A8356_DxO-XL.jpg

this image of course needs a little explanation as it is fairly innocuous I do photographic work for the USNPS. I do work out of Ellis Island in NY harbor when requested. after Hurricane Sandy I was one of the first non NPS people allowed back into the area. I was asked to photograph certain areas of the site over a series of weeks and take measurements of possible continued degradation post disaster (has something to do with my other skill set). in my shooting I found this door. I stood there for a few minutes staring and shot then image. there was a 14ft storm surge there so needless to say the force of nature was great. the almost perfectly curved grab bar was on the outside for the entire weather event. the inner relatively untouched until the tempered glass finally gave way. both door grab bars started out straight. enough said.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
_D4A8356_DxO-XL.jpg

this image of course needs a little explanation as it is fairly innocuous I do photographic work for the USNPS. I do work out of Ellis Island in NY harbor when requested. after Hurricane Sandy I was one of the first non NPS people allowed back into the area. I was asked to photograph certain areas of the site over a series of weeks and take measurements of possible continued degradation post disaster (has something to do with my other skill set). in my shooting I found this door. I stood their for a few minutes staring and shot then image. there was a 14ft storm surge there so needless to say the force of nature was great. the almost perfectly curved grab bar was on the outside for the entire weather event. the inner relatively untouched until the tempered glass finally gave way. both door grab bars started out straight. enough said.

The extra fascination, inherent in this shot, is that the outer curved copper tube is now much longer than it was! It has gotten stretched. But copper is of course particularly ductile!

Asher

Steven Sinski

they aren't copper, brass alloy, pretty strong stuff. copper would never hold up under a "museum" type human contact especially on doors as handles.