• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Artistry in Photographic Magazine Subscription

Antonio Correia

Looking to subscribe a Magazine

I would like to subscribe in 2007 a photography magazine of international reputation and of high quality standards.

I saw the Luminous Landscape, which looks pretty good but I am looking for an alternative.

I would like something very much in the trend of conceptual artistic photography and not so much about techniques.

Any hints, please ? ...

Thank you. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael Reichman has a lot to offer in terms of his video journal. It is not very heavy in artistry although his own pictures which I have bought represent some of the best bargains out there together with Andy biggs work.
these are about $12 an image bu the set is $450 approx.

Learning by example is a great idea.

Radiant Vista is free and offers daily critiques.

Here we try to do the same but there's no video :)

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher ! :)
I do know radiant Bista.
It's good but I want something tangible, to touch, to take to the coffee shop :)

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Internet-based outfits have little or nothing to offer outside of gear-lust or gadget-hounding.

If you're genuinely interested in periodicals devoted to the art of photography, rather than photo hobbyists' consumer fetishism, I recommend looking at the following:

Aperture Foundation: http://www.aperture.org/

LensWork: http://www.lenswork.com/

B&W Magazine: http://www.bandwmag.com/

Reichmann's video journal is an interesting, and very unique offering. But it has virtually nothing to do with art, leaning more toward soft promotions and interesting interviews.

Tim Armes

Hi Antonio,

I know where you're coming from with this request. The vast majority of magazines are heavily oriented towards beginners techniques and gear reviews.

I can only offer my insights into the French and British offerings, but since you're looking internationally this might be of value to you.

In France the choice is fairly limited, and those magazines that are more oriented towards the image (as opposed to the gear) are not typically of the quality you're asking for. That said is a magazine called "Images" which I discovered last week and with with I was fairly impressed. Also, the French Photographic Federation (fpf.asso.fr) have a magazine which often hosts some inspirational work, all be it national.

I returned to the UK over Christmas and discovered that the photo magazine market had flourished - yet for all the choice they were all the same (ooh, a pretty landscape - adverts - what's the aperture - adverts - let's compare all the DSLR's under 800 pounds, again - adverts - etc). The only exception (and the only UK magazine to which I subscribe) is Professional Photographer, which I thorougly enjoy but which doesn't fit the bill for you either.

Again, I've been told the the offering of the British Photographic Society are very good. It would seem that a good solution is to belong to a national society and to subscribe to their magazine.

Tim

P.S. Ken, LensWorks looks interesting, I'll be taking a closer look at that myself.

dandill

I began subscription to LensWork two issues ago and am astounded by the quality. I also got their CD "extended" version, and am very grateful to have done so.

Antonio Correia

Well my friends...
I have a lot to explore...
I must buy 2 or 3 issues, have a look and get the subscription.
Thank you all. :)
It was most kind of you !
I knew some magazines already but others I did not of course ...

Alain Briot

pro member
Phot'Art is also a nice magazine with a very high print quality and image portfolios in each issue. It is published in France and written in both French and English. The subscription form is multilingual. Here is the link:

http://www.phot-art.com/

Antonio Correia

Alain Briot said:
Phot'Art is also a nice magazine with a very high print quality and image portfolios in each issue. It is published in France and written in both French and English. The subscription form is multilingual. Here is the link:

Thank you Alain.
This tip is useful.
I will not try to get the magazine at the shops because it is only for subscribers, so I read.

In March I'll be in Paris only for one afternoon - which is a very short period I know - or in the Frankfort airport where I'll have a connection after a couple of hours...
But I'll have the opportunity to look for other quality publications.

Meanwhile, I have now someone in the USA which - I think - will be able to buy me some American magazines and bring them to the Dominican Republic.
I'll be on the beach for a week. Warm water, nice weather... LOL

I want to get up at sun rise and get some pictures on the beach... if I'm not lazy enought ! :)
I will also shoot some pictures at down.

You cooperate with Photo Art, don't you ?
I saw your pics there. :)

And I like what I saw.:)

Thank you. I'll be watching your site !!! :)

Antonio Correia

Alain.
I have been to the book and magazin shop last saturday and I bought Images magazine Spécial 10 ans - Maison Européenne de la Photographie. Written in French.

It's quite interesting and I'm going now throught it...

I read there about www.parisphoto.fr and www.photo-london.com

Oh boy ! I would like to participate in these events...

But I'm afraid I'm not good enought... or they have never seen what I do LOL LOL

I discovered with joy that photography is quite active in France. Good.

I gave also a look at Photo (European and French). Good pics but too many girls. (not that I don't like to see them... but you know what I mean...)
:)

Tim Armes

Alain Briot said:

Thanks for that info Alain. They need to work on their advertising, I'd never heard of it before. Also, it's hard to get a feel on the magazine from the few sample pages that they give.

Nevertheless, based on your feeback I've gone ahead and ordered the first 6 issues.

Tim

Tim,

Tim Armes said:
I returned to the UK over Christmas and discovered that the photo magazine market had flourished - yet for all the choice they were all the same (ooh, a pretty landscape - adverts - what's the aperture - adverts - let's compare all the DSLR's under 800 pounds, again - adverts - etc)...

I think you've nailed most of them, and not only in UK:)
Ads, "sponsored reviews", rookie questions, more ads... I guess this is the name of the game :-(

Tim Armes

Thanks for that info Alain. They need to work on their advertising, I'd never heard of it before. Also, it's hard to get a feel on the magazine from the few sample pages that they give.

Nevertheless, based on your feedback I've gone ahead and ordered the first 6 issues.

Tim

Well, I've received the first 4 issues of this magazine. I offer this advice to you all :

Order this magazine whilst the first 4 issues are still available !!

It's quite simply superb. Excellent photography, excellent print quality, great articles, and very inspirational.

Tim