• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photography as Art - Studying with a Mentor

Sue Butler

Hi All,

I was asked by Asher to write my thoughts and feelings about studying with a mentor. And an overseas one at that and via the internet.

So, here are my thoughts on the subject (and a couple of pictures).

Months ago I came across a message on a mailing list which talked about studying photography and it's relation to art and there was a website given to look at.
www.benlifson.com
The writer of the message was most impressed by Ben, his work and his attitude toward photography as art.
I read right through the website and was almost (but not quite) intimidated by what I needed to submit to Ben to become one of his students. At no time did I ever expect to become a student and I was very surprised that a few days after submitting my application Ben replied and said I could study with him.

Studying with Ben involves submitting all your pictures (including ones you would normally throw away) for him to study and comment on.
Once or twice a month I talk to Ben via Skype, he has my pictures tagged and we go through them together studying why they work or don't work and he offers suggestions to improve or try different things.
He always is kind, encouraging and even with his criticisms I can see what he is saying and how that particular picture doesn't work.
Always he gives names of particular artists for me to look at, books to read, links to read on the web, or the photographers to look at on the 2 CD's he sent me originally when I first started with him.
Most definitely my photography has improved since studying with Ben. I look back at my old pictures and wonder how he sat through looking at some of them!!!

I would certainly recommend studying with a mentor such as Ben who is so widely well-read and knows so much about art and artists and photographers.

It's opened my eyes to a whole new world and I'm learning more and more as I slowly work through the essays, articles and books that Ben suggests I read.

I read that Ben says that to become a good photographer you need to take 200 + pictures a day. Unfortunately at the moment I can't take that many a day, but I'm doing my best to get out and take many as often as I can.
Most importantly ...... when I got 'stuck' photographically the first time, I emailed Ben and he wrote back saying ........"photograph anything and everything"!!!

It works and you'll never ever be bored for a subject.

So thank you Ben for allowing me the privilege to be your student and thank you Asher for encouraging me to write about it.

regards,
Sue

Below are 3 pictures I submitted for an International competition but which didn't get chosen.
The leaves are taken in a big bird bath in my front garden and the seaweed was just some on the sand on a beach.
http://www.redfrogsdontbounce.com/mg2/index.php?list=29

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Sue,

thanks for this report. It seems that Ben can rub off some of his enthusiasm and knowledge on to you, and his other students, I guess. A lot of 'teachers' can't do that.

I had a look at your 3 images, there is a certain light? quality about them, which I can't quite place. I would like to see a couple of your early ('pre Ben') shots, with a summary of what _you_ now see is wrong with them, but don't worry if you don't want to.

Best wishes,

Ray

Sue Butler

Reply to Ray

Hi Ray,

I wonder what you mean by 'particular light' ?

The seaweed picture was taken in bright, overcast light about midday. The other two were taken in morning or afternoon golden sunlight, so essentially sun low in the sky.

Hmmm, pre-Ben shots are on an external hard drive not easily accesible.
You can have a look at my India pictures. They are pre-Ben but I did do some work with a photojournalist who led that tour in India.
http://www.redfrogsdontbounce.com/mg2/index.php?list=2&page=all

regards,
Sue