• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Time to move, and a time to ponder...

fahim mohammed

"Some people think the opposite of fear is the absence of it. It is not. The opposite of fear is courage."

p2552083427-5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"Some people think the opposite of fear is the absence of it. It is not. The opposite of fear is courage."

p2552083427-5.jpg

Fahim,

What a wonderful picture. This is an acnievement in itself. I like the yellow color against the white snow and sense of community, even though we do not see people. However, I do suspect Aisha was behind the camera!

These climbers are so well prepared and will overcome their fear by their knowledge, awareness, competance, skill and mutal support. The brave, however, do not lack fear. Fear is one of the elements that will create respect for the magnitude opf their adversary.

Courage is not the opposite of fear. The police officers who ran towards the bullets in Los Vegas, last week, were dead scared, but despite that, had an inner unstoppable selfless drive and sense of duty to save the public from further onsluaght. Courage is grasping and carryng out of an action plan to acheive a worthy goal, despite extreme risk and threat.

The opposite of fear might be blindness, delusion, apathy, or inability to comprehend threats or a combination of these which shield a person from reality of some real threat.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher.

Without fear, there can be no courage.

Courage can manifest itself in different forms at different times. In Las Vegas, the first time responders knew there could be killed, but had the courage to help and direct others to safety. Everyone is afraid of something or another...most, for their lives, or that of their loved ones. But As we have seen on TV, Re: the senseless evil and terror rained on innocents in Las Vegas, did not deter the brave to do their calling.
Bravo.

Courage can also be a jobless person returning home after a day of searching for a living without success, looks straight into his/her family's face and says ' tomorrow, I shall go out again '.

Whereas Mark Twain can observe that: “It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.”

Many forms of courage, some of which you have correctly identified, but I maintain that there can be no courage if there is no element of fear. They go hand in hand. Just that courage is one step ahead of fear.

Now, my friend, wouldn't you like to have been in the image I posted? :)

p.s. WhileI posted, you had edited your original post. So Yes, I do not disagree.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just that,

"Courage is one step ahead of fear."

That is a succinct insight I will remember.

....and yes, I would love to have been there, but would fear losing my tiny SD cards and pills in the snow! So Wendy would have to come along too! I would need oxygen, she would need latée!

Asher