• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

African Violet in reflected UV

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Was test shooting an African Violet flower with a LDM-1 800mm Long Distance UV-VIS-IR Microscope lens...

This from 6ft/1.8m away:
168304357.cqFPAMXB.P1740536a_c.jpg

and this from 1ft/0.3m away:
168304358.DCqLJyFG.P1740535_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Beautiful!

Now Klaus,

Have you also looked into any polarization effects? Can insects detect rotation on UV energies or onlybin the visible spectrum?

How would you find out?

What would the flowers show?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Beautiful!

Now Klaus,

Have you also looked into any polarization effects? Can insects detect rotation on UV energies or onlybin the visible spectrum?

How would you find out?

What would the flowers show?

Asher

No I haven't yet looked into UV-Polarization as the needed filters are extremely costly...

Insects (some) have the ability to detect polarization, I have read....

Asher Kelman

No I haven't yet looked into UV-Polarization as the needed filters are extremely costly...

Insects (some) have the ability to detect polarization, I have read....

Klaus,

I have been reading up a lot! Insects have s great capability of perceiving specific degrees of rotation or spiral continuous rotation, separately from color! That is amazing!

They use it to get flight orientation and to break down camouflage of predators and prey as well as for sexual signaling.

It seems to me that this is so important for you and I think you could get around some of the cost issue by using surplus optics that the army over orders and they have forgotten why they authorized that research in the first place. If I was a funding organization, which sadly I am not, I would unhesitatingly fund you acquiring the needed equipment!!

Anyway I am sorry we ourselves cannot use this modality with our own eyes as it would give a lot of new information.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Was test shooting an African Violet flower with a LDM-1 800mm Long Distance UV-VIS-IR Microscope lens...

This from 6ft/1.8m away:
168304357.cqFPAMXB.P1740536a_c.jpg

and this from 1ft/0.3m away:
168304358.DCqLJyFG.P1740535_c.jpg

Especially the second picture is atmospheric and otherworldly in a pleasant mind opening way!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Klaus,

I have been reading up a lot! Insects have s great capability of perceiving specific degrees of rotation or spiral continuous rotation, separately from color! That is amazing!

They use it to get flight orientation and to break down camouflage of predators and prey as well as for sexual signaling.

It seems to me that this is so important for you and I think you could get around some of the cost issue by using surplus optics that the army over orders and they have forgotten why they authorized that research in the first place. If I was a funding organization, which sadly I am not, I would unhesitatingly fund you acquiring the needed equipment!!

Anyway I am sorry we ourselves cannot use this modality with our own eyes as it would give a lot of new information.

Asher

OH, but we can!! There is an effect one can use (once learned) to see POLARIZATION!!

Look here for Haidinger's Brush: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidinger%27s_brush and also a bit better described here:
http://www.polarization.com/haidinger/haidinger.html

I can see it very faintly at an 45 degree angle if I look right now on my LCD screen of my Surface just on an empty Word document
(one needs a pure white or even better slightly blue display. like left and right here with open edit box...)