• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

You REALLY need to read the fine print !!

Rick Otto

I've only entered 2 other Photo contests, but after seeing the one that the City Arts' Commission put on last year, I decided that I need to enter.... Requirements of no more than 11x14, mounted on board, no frames or mat... OK - I just spent $109 on processing to enter a number of photos in different catagories.... I read that it's $10 per submission... OK so far - I can do that.. ... Now I find out - "Photographs will not be returned" !! I went into this thinking that even if I didnt' do any good in the contest, I'd have some really nice photos to hang on my wall.... PLUS - "By entering the contest, you grant the Arts Council the right to publish and use any submitted photograph in print or electronic form for advertising, promotional, or commercial use without renumeration ..

OK - for those that have done this stuff before - is this a 'normal' practice ? This is our local city's Arts Council, not some ad over the Internet... This is the 8th year they've had this, and I could kick myself for not looking into this more......

r

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've only entered 2 other Photo contests, but after seeing the one that the City Arts' Commission put on last year, I decided that I need to enter.... Requirements of no more than 11x14, mounted on board, no frames or mat... OK - I just spent $109 on processing to enter a number of photos in different catagories.... I read that it's $10 per submission... OK so far - I can do that.. ... Now I find out - "Photographs will not be returned" !! I went into this thinking that even if I didnt' do any good in the contest, I'd have some really nice photos to hang on my wall.... PLUS - "By entering the contest, you grant the Arts Council the right to publish and use any submitted photograph in print or electronic form for advertising, promotional, or commercial use without renumeration ..

OK - for those that have done this stuff before - is this a 'normal' practice ? This is our local city's Arts Council, not some ad over the Internet... This is the 8th year they've had this, and I could kick myself for not looking into this more......

r

Rick,

I have stopped short of a number of submissions for the same reasons, but this has all the objections in one easy package!

It's an unconscionable way to finance an exhibit and get free stock photos for the City! note they can even use this for commercial exploitation. So imagine all the fine pictures they can sell!

Asher