• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First Beach shoot

Phil Fernandez

Hi guys.... newbie here. I just recently had my first beach shoot... a couple of days ago in Malibu, CA. I had to use a friend's strobe setup since I mostly do studio and on location ...... awaaay from water.

c & c is greatly appreciated.

5907703283_6793048cbd_z.jpg

5885334344_ec2913f364_z.jpg

5908261330_71948c139b_z.jpg

BTS shot
5885592438_f485a766fd_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi guys.... newbie here. I just recently had my first beach shoot... a couple of days ago in Malibu, CA. I had to use a friend's strobe setup since I mostly do studio and on location ...... awaaay from water.

c & c is greatly appreciated.

5907703283_6793048cbd_z.jpg

Hi Phil,

Congrats on a great first shoot. It already is pretty wonderful, but you start off well with a pretty girl and a great open beach.

I like her pose and the wisp of hair blowing on her face. The reflections on her thigh and top edge of lips seem too strong and distracting. What processing have you done. I'd love to see the face a little softer, perhaps it's the glow on the left cheek that's a bit strong. What about recovering detail in the body of her hair?

I really like the highlight sparkle "detail" receding towards the water. Is it reflections from rocks or water? It's better than just plain smooth OOF b.g.

Overall, a commendable and engaging picture!

Asher

Phil Fernandez

Hi Phil,

Congrats on a great first shoot. It already is pretty wonderful, but you start off well with a pretty girl and a great open beach.

I like her pose and the wisp of hair blowing on her face. The reflections on her thigh and top edge of lips seem too strong and distracting. What processing have you done. I'd love to see the face a little softer, perhaps it's the glow on the left cheek that's a bit strong. What about recovering detail in the body of her hair?

I really like the highlight sparkle "detail" receding towards the water. Is it reflections from rocks or water? It's better than just plain smooth OOF b.g.

Overall, a commendable and engaging picture!

Asher
thank you . I really appreciate your comments.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Phil,

The toning here is interesting. This would be nice for a magazine editorial picture at the beginning of an article as there's good space for text. I wonder whether you could open up the face with a large reflector to your right? The super bright water works, but is this much of blow out needed. More light on her would allow you to stop down and control the rather over-bright b.g.

Anyway, what's here name? It's good to recognize her and when you find a subject like her, just do more more! Everything from here on is the lighting distribution.

Where did you find her?

Asher

Phil Fernandez

Phil,

The toning here is interesting. This would be nice for a magazine editorial picture at the beginning of an article as there's good space for text. I wonder whether you could open up the face with a large reflector to your right? The super bright water works, but is this much of blow out needed. More light on her would allow you to stop down and control the rather over-bright b.g.

Anyway, what's here name? It's good to recognize her and when you find a subject like her, just do more more! Everything from here on is the lighting distribution.

Where did you find her?

Asher
thanks Asher... I will keep all that in mind when I do this type of shoot again in similar conditions. I was struggling with the strobe since I was still learning it while I was using it.

She emailed me at my website.

So we should also know what your website is :).

I like the number 3 as well: my favorite second is number 1.

The only thing - to me - is the feet on the number 3, it looks like a hard pose to hold on a shoot. The mood is really nice and the lady beautiful.

Phil Fernandez

So we should also know what your website is :).

I like the number 3 as well: my favorite second is number 1.

The only thing - to me - is the feet on the number 3, it looks like a hard pose to hold on a shoot. The mood is really nice and the lady beautiful.

thank you. I was trying to make her as comfortable as I want her too. I guess she just held that pose because I didn't say anything.... I should always ask if the pose is relaxed and comfortable to her before I push the shutter button.

oh... and thank you for asking about my website... (shameless plug.. LOL)

it's www.philfenandezphotography.com