• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon

Chris Calohan

13521759943_13d83fa623_z_d.jpg

Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon: Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
13521759943_13d83fa623_z_d.jpg

Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

it's interesting how the cell phone has changed our behaviors. In past days, that fellow with the phone would have been chatting to the guy in the bar or quietly reflecting and enjoying a cold beer. The phone now takes precedence!

I've seen women walking with the children, cross the street and continuing conversation on the phone stuck to her ear!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Black and white photography is long gone, color is needed here..........

Pat,

Color photography has arrived, yes that's true, but it didn't kill the love of the monochrome image. The advantage of B&W is that we are not distracted by the emotional emphasis that color brings.

With B&W one can deal with an equal playing field wherein one can better enjoy the shapes, textures and shading.

Saying that B&W pictures are not modern is like saying that clean water is out of date and we all should drink either grape juice or orange juice.

As an individual, you can totally avoid B&W photography in your own work and art you purchase and support. I know that Nicolas Claris a fine art and commercial photographer who has earned a world wide list of premier clients, himself loves color and almost never has shared monochrome images as his favorites. Still, he has enormous respect for the many photographer adept in creating lasting images in B&W.

I do not disagree that the picture might have been very different in color. However, I cannot be certain of that. But don't we have to respect the choice of the artist. After all, the photographer has to satisfy his or her own wishes.

Asher

I think the black and white here is meant to add a temporal contrast to the scene. Don't black-and-white photos suggest a vintage era? If this photo had been taken during the black-and-white days, the two men would probably be sitting across a table face to face, with coffee mugs in front and cigarettes in their hands. Asher's observation about cellphones points out how completely our notion of 'being together' has changed!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Reginald,

I think the black and white here is meant to add a temporal contrast to the scene. Don't black-and-white photos suggest a vintage era? If this photo had been taken during the black-and-white days, the two men would probably be sitting across a table face to face, with coffee mugs in front and cigarettes in their hands. Asher's observation about cellphones points out how completely our notion of 'being together' has changed!

An excellent observation. Our glass changes, as does what we see through it.

Best regards,

Doug