• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

May Need to Get Laptop, Looking for Advice

August Iaia

So I may have to buy a laptop to use for primarily for non-photographic work, and if I do I want to get one I can run Photoshop on from time to time. This would strictly be for convenience, and my main machine would continue to be my desktop.

I'll probably buy a Dell, and was wondering if anyone had any problems doing color balancing on a Dell laptop screen.

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions? The reason I'm considering Dell is simply for support, as weak as it's gotten (sigh).

Alain Briot

pro member
I'll probably buy a Dell, and was wondering if anyone had any problems doing color balancing on a Dell laptop screen.

Laptop screens are known for being difficult to calibrate accurately for color adjustment work. I don't know about Dell in particular, but this applies to laptops in general. It has a lot to do with the tilt angle of the screen, which, being variable, gives different color and contrast levels depending on the angle of view. Since you plan to keep your desktop CPU then that's where the critical color adjustments should be made. Personally, I do not use a laptop at all for my work. I only use a laptop for presentations because they are portable.

Rachel Foster

I'm a diehard PC user. Years ago, I dismissed Macs as "monkey boxes" (don't ask!) Since becoming involved with photography, quality of image processing and some other factors have become very salient to me.

So, my advice: get a Mac. I wish I had gone Mac years ago!

Alain Briot

pro member
But... Mac or Windows won't make any difference regarding the near impossibility of calibrating a laptop screen. One thing you can do to stack the odds in your favor (or at least avoid betting on one you can't possibly win) is get a matte screen. Glossy screens are just not good at all for color correction work.