• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Dense faster memory breakthrough; the Memristor!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
_60299439_60299172.jpg

This is really interesting, the memristor!

According to "Moore's Law" states that semiconductors in micro chips get two times faster while becoming two times smaller every two years.

I wonder how this new memory device fits into that theory.

Asher Kelman

According to "Moore's Law" states that semiconductors in micro chips get two times faster while becoming two times smaller every two years.

I wonder how this new memory device fits into that theory.

It looks like it's going to be one hundred times faster than current memory and will use much less power. Also the switching seems so fast that it would be illegal to export as one could perhaps more easily make nuclear bomb triggers. Getting made in silicon is going to be a major drop in the cost of memory. All those FAB plants will have to be retooled as they could go like sony Betacam or 8 track tapes!

Imagine how this might also effect chips that react to thoughts in the brain to control robots for paralyzed patients! The reactions would become so fast!

Asher

It looks like it's going to be one hundred times faster than current memory and will use much less power. Also the switching seems so fast that it would be illegal to export as one could perhaps more easily make nuclear bomb triggers. Getting made in silicon is going to be a major drop in the cost of memory. All those FAB plants will have to be retooled as they could go like sony Betacam or 8 track tapes!

Imagine how this might also effect chips that react to thoughts in the brain to control robots for paralyzed patients! The reactions would become so fast!

Asher

Speaking of memory chips and brains, have you ever read or watched Ray Kurzweil"s books/Documentaries?

Transcendent Man comes to mind.....

Michael Seltzer

"Imagine how this might also effect chips that react to thoughts in the brain to control robots for paralyzed patients! The reactions would become so fast!"

I can see people smacking themselves in the forehead while trying to drink their coffee as their robotic arms react more quickly then they can control or adjust for.

Asher Kelman

"Imagine how this might also effect chips that react to thoughts in the brain to control robots for paralyzed patients! The reactions would become so fast!"

I can see people smacking themselves in the forehead while trying to drink their coffee as their robotic arms react more quickly then they can control or adjust for.
To date, michael, these devices are implanted over the motor cortex. Patients are trained to move the robot arm. I'd imagine that there are preprogramed behaviors in the arm that get triggered and controlled, as opposed to control of each movement at the shoulder, wrist and fingers. The spinal cord already had pre-programmed circuits for walking, so that making them for the robotic arm seems a natural research approach.

I can imagine a super version allowing surgeons to operate by thought control of nano surgical instruments with nano cameras and even tactile feedback. Then they'd be mind controls bullets! they already have made bullets that can steer a course to the target!

Asher

Man controls hand with mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppILwXwsMng

I'm trying to find a clip from "Transcendent Man" as well where a professor has a micro chip embedded in his arm. This chip is connected to a computer and he controls a hand across the country. Strangely, the micro chip started to fuse with his nerves and he also stated that he could feel the ball that was being gripped across the country.

David Bostedo

It looks like it's going to be one hundred times faster than current memory and will use much less power...
That's true, but that's only in comparison to current flash memory, such as that found in SD/Compact Flash cards and SSDs.

Current volatile memory, such as RAM or on-chip embedded memories, run thousands of times faster than flash memories. So most devices already use flash as little as possible, just like the way your PC will load data from the drive into the main RAM, so that it can use it much faster.

Memristors won't change that, but they'll lessen the impact of needed accesses when there are other types of memory available; For instance, flushing the buffer in a camera out to the card. But they won't replace the buffer memory if they're only 100 times faster than flash.