• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Travelog: Travel Gear...

fahim mohammed

What camera gear do you take with you on your travels?
An often asked question. With as many different answers as the amount of responders.

My decision is based on a whim, in most instances. The time of day/night when I start packing. And my mood. Very important that..my mood. And if I have had my Omneprazole or not..

Therefore, please do not take my choices ( and specially my advice seriously )...I am nowadays not serious about anything.

I, most often, have traveled with only one camera, and a max of 1 or 2 primes. I have traveled with just a P&S. My wife usually travels just with her P&S...but not always.

Ayesha went to the Balkans. She took her fuji XT-1 and the kit 18-55mm lens. All images posted here are with that setup.

I went the other way. I went to the Philippines. It was a longer than usual trip for me. Almost 3 weeks.

This is what my gear looked like, after removing the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR lens.

p2761348174-5.jpg

I am predominantly a prime lens user. 50/1.4 is my choice. That went in.

Add to this a portrait prime. Why? Coz I thought I would be taking portraits of locals. 85mm is my choice FL for this.

A WA lens. For those rice terraces you see being posted here. Quite a few are with the 50 and 85 too!

I am paranoid, at times, about a camera failing on me. So add another body.

What did I actually take? Tune in for the next post.

James Lemon

Yes the 85mm is a must for portraits. I use primes as well but only carry one lens on the camera when I go out to shoot. One spare battery a cleaning cloth but no bag when I am out and about. A 35mm is a versatile lens for all kinds of scenarios, for cars it is a perfect lens. I live with the choice of lens I choose when I go out and look for things based on my lens choice.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So are you using the Fuji APS-C system too or is that just your backup and your main camera a Nikon?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Thanks James for your comment.

I too was and mostly am ( I think ) a one lens guy. The 50mm is my opiate.
However, I find that my travels need at least one more lens. A WA. I find the Fuji 14mm very adequate for this purpose.

So a prime set for me would be ( Fuji ) 14/35/56.
However, the Fuji 16-55 is a stellar lens. The bread and butter zoom.

I carried the Fuji with the 14 and 35.
The Df with the 24/50/85. I did not take the f1.4 versions.
No filters, no tripod, no zooms.

I want to switch to Fuji once the dust settles on the XH-1.

Best.

Yes the 85mm is a must for portraits. I use primes as well but only carry one lens on the camera when I go out to shoot. One spare battery a cleaning cloth but no bag when I am out and about. A 35mm is a versatile lens for all kinds of scenarios, for cars it is a perfect lens. I live with the choice of lens I choose when I go out and look for things based on my lens choice.

fahim mohammed

Asher, this was a test run to ditch the Nikon and move over to the Fuji.

I do need IBIS, the new Fuji XH-1 has it. But I want to see some reputable reports.
I have a reasonable collection of XF lenses. A combination of 14, 16-55, 56, and a tele 50-200 would
be my setup.

But one thing is nagging me about the Fuji. Perfect for most anything, except....

Tell you about it after some more investigation.

So are you using the Fuji APS-C system too or is that just your backup and your main camera a Nikon?

Asher

James Lemon

Thanks James for your comment.

I too was and mostly am ( I think ) a one lens guy. The 50mm is my opiate.
However, I find that my travels need at least one more lens. A WA. I find the Fuji 14mm very adequate for this purpose.

So a prime set for me would be ( Fuji ) 14/35/56.
However, the Fuji 16-55 is a stellar lens. The bread and butter zoom.

I carried the Fuji with the 14 and 35.
The Df with the 24/50/85. I did not take the f1.4 versions.
No filters, no tripod, no zooms.

I want to switch to Fuji once the dust settles on the XH-1.

Best.

Hi Fahim

Sounds like you have an established set of good perimeters to suit your your needs! I have the Fuji XT-2 system and the XF 56/f1.4 is a beautiful lens for portraits and the 23/f2. I think Fuji will be introducing a XT-3 this fall. The XT-2 is a versatile camera and fast for sports shooting as well.

James

fahim mohammed

Belated thanks for your comment, James.

I love the ergonomics of the Fuji X system. Few niggles, but none serious.

After going through the many images made by using the Fuji, I am not happy with its performance as a
landscape camera. In situations where dense foliage, like in the Phillipines, is encountered...I have no
faith in the Fuji X trans. It has ruined countless images with the well known swirly, painterly, mushy, water color painting effect.

Worst, this behavior from the X Trans is intermittent. Thereby detracting me from photography in above mentioned scenarios.

For everything else, it is an excellent system.

I would have bought the XH-1. But not anymore.
I researched the Sony A7iii. But I will hold out on this.

3 days ago, I went and bought me a Nikon D750. More for ergonomics than anything else. This with
the Df will be sufficient for anything I throw at them. And I am invested in Nikon.

The Fuji shall be used for a small discrete system in places where dense foliage is not encountered.
Sad really. But one moves on.